Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad boat collision at my lake tonight

rrrr
    I just got home after a really bad night. On Fridays we all hang at the floating restaurant, eating, drinking, and singing karaoke. Around 11:30 one of our friends called and said he had collided with another boat.
    We all jumped in my boat to go help. Our buddy said he was towing the stricken boat in. We arrived on the scene a few minutes later. The boat that was hit had been sitting a few hundred feet off the shoreline with no lights. Brian towed it to the closest boat ramp.
    When I arrived, the boat was sitting in 3 or 4 feet of water. I saw a guy in the boat covered in blood. I grabbed my first aid kit and put on some latex gloves.
    Here's the preachy part. Anyone out there have a first aid kit, some gloves, and a bit of training? You'd be surprised.
    Anyway, I docked at the courtesy dock and ran off the boat. The entire front end of the 20' Glastron was gone. There was shattered glass everywhere, and splintered fiberglass was all over the nose of the boat.
    The guy that was the passenger was in bad shape. He had lacerations all over his skull, and some probable broken ribs. I tried to clean him up with Betadine wipes, and after a few I said fuggit. He was a mess. I got out some 6 X 4 compresses and wrapped his head with 2" gauze.
    I was cut by all of the shelled windshield glass. As I manuevered to help the guy, the boat was sinking. When the EMS guys showed up a few minutes later, I yelled at them to bring a backboard NOW. We got him out of the boat as it finished sinking in 6 feet deep water.
    I'm fuggin' tired, gooing to bed now.

TheLurker
    Props to you rrrr for helping. I hope the guy pulls through.

Kilrtoy
    Since you were all drinking, who drove you out there????????
    Good job hopefully you saved his life. What about the rest....
    I have alot more questions?????
    anyhow...
    Again good job, these people were lucky you were there and had the proper training to assist them.

JetBoatRich
    Good job rrrr we keep a first aid kit in the boat as well :jawdrop:
    As I read you post, I had the same question as Kilrtoy, who drove? We met at CBBB and you seem pretty responsible able drinking and driving.

Mrs CP 19
    Wow!! great job, they were lucky to have you around! We do keep a first aid kit, but today I am throwing in some latex gloves, what a great idea, never occured to me . Thanks, and again, great job. Jill

diggler
    I just got home after a really bad night. On Fridays we all hang at the floating restaurant, eating, drinking, and singing karaoke. Around 11:30 one of our friends called and said he had collided with another boat.
    We all jumped in my boat to go help. Our buddy said he was towing the stricken boat in. We arrived on the scene a few minutes later. The boat that was hit had been sitting a few hundred feet off the shoreline with no lights. Brian towed it to the closest boat ramp.
    When I arrived, the boat was sitting in 3 or 4 feet of water. I saw a guy in the boat covered in blood. I grabbed my first aid kit and put on some latex gloves.
    Here's the preachy part. Anyone out there have a first aid kit, some gloves, and a bit of training? You'd be surprised.
    Anyway, I docked at the courtesy dock and ran off the boat. The entire front end of the 20' Glastron was gone. There was shattered glass everywhere, and splintered fiberglass was all over the nose of the boat.
    The guy that was the passenger was in bad shape. He had lacerations all over his skull, and some probable broken ribs. I tried to clean him up with Betadine wipes, and after a few I said fuggit. He was a mess. I got out some 6 X 4 compresses and wrapped his head with 2" gauze.
    I was cut by all of the shelled windshield glass. As I manuevered to help the guy, the boat was sinking. When the EMS guys showed up a few minutes later, I yelled at them to bring a backboard NOW. We got him out of the boat as it finished sinking in 6 feet deep water.
    I'm fuggin' tired, gooing to bed now.
    Man oh man, I'm sorry to hear about this!
    Was this on Lake Grapevine or Lake Lewisville?

rrrr
    Well I finally got up and showered. I stayed up til 4:30 AM I was so freaked out. Jeezus, I have glass cuts everywhere. The bottoms of my feet are shredded.
    Kilr, I had been at the lake less than two hours when it happened, had been at my shop putting in a battery charger in the boat. I was still eating dinner when we got the call, so I hadn't even gotten to beer number three.
    I'm really amazed the guy is alive, because I think I know what put two huge lacerations on the front and back of his skull..... The propeller. There were prop strike marks all up the port side of the boat right over the passenger seat where the guy was sitting. The seat was ripped out of the floor, and from there forward the upper half of the hull above the shoebox joint was just gone, along with two feet of the nose.
    Once again we talk about boating at night. I am damn careful when I do it, and I won't go on plane within a half mile of shore. This happened several hundred yards from shore in front of a marina cove. My friend was driving a 27' Baja, not the greatest thing to see out of. There is a full moon tonight, so he should have been able to spot the boat easily if he was paying attention.
    I can't stress enough that some medical training can save a life, and you have to make decisions and act quickly. I had to yell at the firemen and EMTs to get after it, they all wanted to walk onto the boat for a look instead of grabbing their stuff and treating the guy. In a situtation like this someone has to take charge and give orders, they sure didn't act like there was a leader in the group.
    I'm gonna eat breakfast and go to the lake, if the boat is still there I'll take some pictures.
    Diggler edit: Happened on Lake Lavon

MsDrmr
    what a wonderful thing you did for them. I am sorry thats how your evening wound up, but you did the right thing (and you know it) All boaters should have a first aid kit in their boat, and make sure each year that the materials in there have not expired.

Wicky
    Since you were all drinking, who drove you out there????????
    Auto pilot!!!
    Kudos RRRRR!! I'd go boating with ya anyday!!

GHTRIM
    Great work rrrr. CPR and a gereral knowledge of how to handle a situation like this is a must... Hopefully you will be able to check on the guy and he is fine. It is too bad a lot of Civil Servants do not show the sence of urgentcy (sp?) you did.. :frown:. I have witnessed it first hand as well. Again... Great Job..

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast