Thread: small block cat

not guilty
    Posted this in cats too , looking at a 19 ft DAYTONA that was thinking of putting a mildly built up small block & alpha drive in.Has anybody seen a set up like this or am I out there on this . Thought it might perform well and still keep a little cockpit space. :rollside: (cruise a little further @ 2.50+ a gallon also!)

Infomaniac
    I have seen them. It is hard to get an optimum top end x-dimension without sticking the engine way up and having a gawdy engine cover. But they run well.

not guilty
    THANX INFO- Looked all over net & classifieds & cant seem to find one.My dangerous level of self confided intelligence thinks this combo should produce a ride in the upper 60's to maybe 70 that would about be pushing the limits on the alpha?no :220v:

Slyder
    I believe that there are a few guys up in the Shasta, CA area that run these combo's. If the stories are correct, I think they are also running the bottle and have top ends above 100 mph, very quickly!
    Not bad for a small block. And no engine covers by the way. I think that one of the guys owns or works at a propeller shop. I think Stoker2001 might know who they are.
    Paul

HP350SC
    I believe that there are a few guys up in the Shasta, CA area that run these combo's. If the stories are correct, I think they are also running the bottle and have top ends above 100 mph, very quickly!
    Not bad for a small block. And no engine covers by the way. I think that one of the guys owns or works at a propeller shop. I think Stoker2001 might know who they are.
    Paul
    Don't remember a sbc/alpha combo that fast, lost all my pics. of 2002 Cat attack.
    The ones I do remember 2 years ago at Shasta were: Phil, who had a black 19 Daytona with 600 inch and NOS, capable of 120ish(don't remember drive), red Lavey?tunnel with an SVO 514 Ford and an OMC! running 90, brown 19 Daytona w/nasty small block with NOS(don't remember drive) that was quicker than I was at the time(90mph), and Dean's Elim. with a 600ish NOS motor and Imco drive w/standoff box that gps'd 129 mph. All of them were N/A.
    I would only go with a Bravo. 65 to 70 will not get the hull aired out, so you will need solid 500 hp to do that (sbc or bbc).
    I have seen the 19's take water splash over the back with 4 people in them, so splash pan is good idea.

Trash
    I believe there was a DCB 22 cat powered by a Scorpion 377 Merc with Bravo drive that ran in the 70's. That motor is 'only' 350-360 hp. PB had an article on it a few years ago.

not guilty
    Thanx for the input , by splash gaurd I take it you meen behind motor.I've ran a few big vee's with cobras & 450 +hp BBF with no problems & have a lot of exp. setting them up but thought I like to get away from them with this project.i'm building a 351w ford for this (sorry im a FORD guy) and thought with a mild build up (350 hp +-) an alpha gen 2 would do OK. Would definetly be a lot easier to find a donor boat for the main drive hardware going this route. The one I'm building is a bare hull w/nothing & wife said something about summer coming up soon. :jawdrop:
    I have a thread on this in cats so if anyone has anymore comments would like to get them there to avoid double posting . thanks