Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you disconnect the pump?

TIGGER
    I want to run my boat on the trailer. I have read that you should not run the jet dry. How do you disconnect the pump from the engine so I can run it on the trailer? I am running an Olds 350 with a Berkley pump.

Duane HTP
    Don't do it with out disconnecting the pump!!! If you have a three point mounting system, it's next to impossible. If you have a four point, disconnect and take out the drive line. Otherwise back your boat into the water on the ramp to do whatever it is that you want to do. Duane HTP

1978 Rogers
    If you can't slide the drive line back far enough like on mine. You'll have to break the seal on the transom adaptor and slide the whole pump back to clear the drive line from the bell housing. Thats what I did in the fall. It was nice to start it up this spring and let it warm up and run for a while. This way I'm not the guy on the ramp holding up people trying to get it started after a winter of sitting.

wet77
    Don't do it with out disconnecting the pump!!! If you have a three point mounting system, it's next to impossible. If you have a four point, disconnect and take out the drive line. Otherwise back your boat into the water on the ramp to do whatever it is that you want to do. Duane HTP
    I just dug a pond in my backyard which is now my testing grounds

emjay
    I have a plumbing attachment on the pump where you can
    hook up a garden hose & run water thru the system, including
    the engine block. I was told that this was sufficient lubrication
    to run the pump for a short period. (maybe 30 seconds - minute)
    Is this OK to do for quick driveway adjustments?
    Watched a guy at the lake ramp the other day "dry fire"
    & rev his jet boat for a few minutes to "warm up" the motor
    before launching. More than the motor was "warmed up". :2purples:
    Problem I've found is if you try to offer friendly advice to someone,
    (& you've got a nicer ride or more experience) they often think
    you're an A**hole.
    So I just looked down & shook my head... too disgusted to speak!
    BTW, I'm not an A**hole... just a "Little Behind"!

ONAROLL
    Tigger, the avitar (picture) below your post is a device called a Jet Away, it was designed and built by Duane HTP (Hi-Tech Performance, Goddard KS), it is the "gold standard" when you want to run your engine without turning expensive pump parts. it also serves as a safety device recognized by all racing associations to immediatly disconnect engine/pump during a catastrophic failure. have several beers then call Duane for a price,
    Vic..... :rollside:

Foggerjet
    Mine is real easy to diconnect, Takes about 5 mins with 2 9/16" wrenches and a ratchet with a 3/8" allen socket. Are some drivelines a solid piece from the drive adapter to the pump shaft? Mine has a flange that bolts to the flywheel adapter, then a double u-joint that you can unbolt the two halves, then remove the front piece. That probly sounds confusing as hell, but it's real simple.
    fog

P-Money
    emjay,
    I'd be interested in seeing a pic of your set-up.

emjay
    emjay,
    I'd be interested in seeing a pic of your set-up.
    No problem, but gimme a day to take the photos. :coffeycup

superdave013
    You mean you don't pull your boat out of the water and fire it up to "clean it out"?? lol
    I see someone doing that every time I go to the lake.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast