Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber flooring.

dmontzsta
    I have my floor grinded down and I am letting the wood dry out, it seems that it is ok, it is not rotten. I have a friend who owns an import shop, he gets lots of carbon fiber for the hoods he builds. He could probably get me a big enough piece to do the bottom of the boat. I like how strong CF is and the fact that it weighs nothing. Has anyone ever used CF for their flooring? I was going to use the traditional matte then cloth, do you use CF to replace the matte? I dont know if it is a waste of time, I was just thinking about it...it would make for a cool looking floor, that would be strong and light.

LeE ss13
    To the best of my knowledge, this boat is all CF and vacuum molded to boot!
    http://www.superstockracingassoc.com...Friday/b19.jpg

469 the coyote
    I did my floor last year and it is so cool. We just sanded the floor with 80 grit and put the carbon in. I will get some pics for you.

dmontzsta
    I did my floor last year and it is so cool. We just sanded the floor with 80 grit and put the carbon in. I will get some pics for you.
    I am very interested...how does it hold up in the long run compared to regular glass? I just dont want to damage the wood, cause I did have a scare thinking of what it would be like to add new wood. I am prepping it all up them taking it to Tim @ CLM and me and him are going ot knock it out.

Jake W2
    Well dosent he have all the answers?
    I do not think Carbon is lighter than the same weight matt.And it is much stronger used with epoxy style resin rather than Polyester resin.
    If it were me I would use it as decorative thinking it is as strong as regular woven cloth,not with the thought of it being much stronger unless you use an epoxy resin but with that stuff you can never use polyester on top of it for other repairs .
    I plugged all the holes in my stringers and laminated (laminating carbon fiber)over tham it is all black with grey string holding it in place.Then went back and sanded off the grey thread and recoated it 2 times with sanding inbetwine to get it totaly smooth and I am still going to coat it a few more times for that deep look.It looks nice being black on a all black boat but I would all most rather gel the stuff the same color as the rest of my boat if it was a diffrent color.
    What you are doing is not as much for strength as it is for a coating.good luck
    Jake

dmontzsta
    Now that I rethink it, this would kill the nostalgia.
    Was CF used back in the 60s?

LeE ss13
    Strong is an understatement. It survived this crash and raced the next day. It weighed in the same as the glass boats.
    http://www.superstockracingassoc.com/2004/Long_Beach/crash/long%20beach%20(4)/ss80_crash10_RJ.jpg

Spotondl
    Now that I rethink it, this would kill the nostalgia.
    Was CF used back in the 60s?
    Uh... That's a big NO there Don... CF wasn't even around in the 60's.

Spotondl
    Strong is an understatement. It survived this crash and raced the next day. It weighed in the same as the glass boats.
    http://www.superstockracingassoc.com/2004/Long_Beach/crash/long%20beach%20(4)/ss80_crash10_RJ.jpg
    Not only survived, it did not even have a stress crack ANYWHERE... and it flipped and hit the water twice... Everybody was blaming the blowover on the CF layup and saying that it was too light... at the weigh in the next day everyone was completely surprised to find out that it was actually HEAVIER than some of the other glass boats...

LeE ss13
    For those who have not seen this sequence of crash pictures before, the driver is alive and well. I like this shot because it shows Dennis' shoe on the right side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast