Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 496HO, pulled my turbulators and........

Chromegorilla
    picked up almost 3 MPH! I couldn't believe it. On the rev limiter hard now. Need more steel to swing. Here you go with my new best.....
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachme...chmentid=11043

WILD LAVEY
    wow thats impressive, i plan on doing that this weekend.

Kachina26
    How long did it take? Are the gaskets separate from the turd-u-lators?

Beer-30
    Just pullem. You'll see. It's real self explanatory. Once the risers come off. With no effort, I might add. The plates just come out and then just put the two pieces back together with both gaskets.
    I put mine back together and checked. No leaks. :smile:

phebus
    Just pullem. You'll see. It's real self explanatory. Once the risers come off. With no effort, I might add. The plates just come out and then just put the two pieces back together with both gaskets.
    I put mine back together and checked. No leaks. :smile:
    I pulled mine, but didn't see as dramatic results. I assume you have twin 496HO's in your 30?
    As far as those that plan on pulling them, it is really easy. I took the hose clamps off the two hoses going to the riser, loosened the four bolts, and seperated the riser from the manifold. I didn't need to remove the exhaust hose, it pivoted on it. Once the riser is seperated from the manifold, there is a gasket on the manifold, and a gasket on the riser with the turbulator sandwiched between. The turbulator is a stainless steel plate, and didn't stick at all to the gaskets, it slid right out. I bolted everything back together, tightened the clamps, and it was done. Checked for leaks the next day out, and there were none. With the two gaskets, and seals up good.

Beer-30
    I assume you have twin 496HO's in your 30?
    Nope. Single HO. Didn't want the maint or fuel of the twins.

LHC30Victory
    I pulled mine, but didn't see as dramatic results. I assume you have twin 496HO's in your 30?
    As far as those that plan on pulling them, it is really easy. I took the hose clamps off the two hoses going to the riser, loosened the four bolts, and seperated the riser from the manifold. I didn't need to remove the exhaust hose, it pivoted on it. Once the riser is seperated from the manifold, there is a gasket on the manifold, and a gasket on the riser with the turbulator sandwiched between. The turbulator is a stainless steel plate, and didn't stick at all to the gaskets, it slid right out. I bolted everything back together, tightened the clamps, and it was done. Checked for leaks the next day out, and there were none. With the two gaskets, and seals up good.
    Did the same with my twins and picked up about 200rpm... I pulled the risers from the hoses though, because I wanted to get to those plastic pieces in the hoses. Had enough flapper, so I figured I don't need them.

Beer-30
    Had enough flapper, so I figured I don't need them.
    yeah, my metal tip (internal) flappers were making a hell of a rattle. I heard that with the black rubber flappers, which it has, you don't need the internal ones. More of a Mercruiser warranty type thing (must have two flappers).
    So, I knocked them out when I had the hoses off for the turbulators. Much nicer! No annoying idle rattle! Plus, they are not recommended for muffler apps, since the flapper could come loose and plug the muffler.
    For when I bolt the mufflers on, that is.

phebus
    Nope. Single HO. Didn't want the maint or fuel of the twins.
    So, you're getting 77.9mph from a single 496HO in a 30' boat? Doesn't sound right, but I guess I can't argue with gps. Are you sure you didn't leave it on on your trip to the lake? I've never heard of a boat doing 77.9 with a 496HO, and a 30 footer, damn.

Beer-30
    So, you're getting 77.9mph from a single 496HO in a 30' boat? Doesn't sound right, but I guess I can't argue with gps. Are you sure you didn't leave it on on your trip to the lake? I've never heard of a boat doing 77.9 with a 496HO, and a 30 footer, damn.
    No, no, that was Chromegorilla, at the top. I WISH!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast