Thread: Plumbing Diagram for Thermostat Needed

77_Tahiti
    I want to set up my 460 to run with a thermostat so the operating temp is controlled. Does anyone know the best way to plumb this? Should the water enter the Hardin logs first or the engine? Also the Hardin logs have 3 hose connections, which of these are inlets & outlets? I noticed that CP Performance has a thermostat kit for 170 bucks, I would prefer a poor man method. I understand there should be a by-pass built into the system, how is this done? Please post any of your creative ideas, the several different ideas posted on the oil extraction systems were amazing. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif

spectras only
    Tahiti,just lift up your tele receiver and call Dave at 604-278 1880 right now [I know he's there,cause the line is busy right now]and he'll be glad to go through with the ins and out of plumbing your engine.It's really simple and you'll be done in no time with your installation.

mister460
    Water goes like this:jet fitting, front of motor, out top(mine doesn't use a thermostat, just the outlet where the heater hose would go)n then into logs, out exhaust. Mine doesn't have a bypass valve;it probably should though. Hope this helps some. CP Performance should know EVERYTHING.

spectras only
    Tahiti,Dave can fax you a diagram if you give me your #.Until then follow these steps.Jet applications: step 1;water hose from bowl goes to a T fitting.step 2;from T fitting two hoses go to the exhaust manifolds [front]step 3;hoses from exhaust manifolds go to two T fittings installed front of engine block.step 4;from these two T fittings hoses go to the top of thermostat housing.step 5;two hoses go to the exhaust elbows [risers]from bottom of thermostat housing [four holes in the thermostat housing].Hope this will help you get going http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif this is a set up if you going to use a thermostat!!!
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited July 12, 2001).]

77_Tahiti
    spectras only,
    I tried calling Dave a couple of times today but seems like he could use a few more lines, his tele was busy every time. Anyhow I would like to give you my fax number so Dave can fax me that diagram. I will e-mail you Monday morning with my fax number I don't work Friday's so I will not be around a fax machine till then.
    As for your plumbing description what happens with the two hose connections going into the front of the block? Also do you use a spacer with a couple of hose connections between the thermostat housing and the block to get the four hose connections?
    I'm still trying to better understand this whole damm system with regards to which connections on the logs are inlet & outlets, also wondering which connections are the inlet & outlets of the motor. Plus should the water going into the motor be preheated thru the logs to reduce cold water temp stress of the engine components.
    Im surprised that there has not been more creative plumbing descriptions, I guess this is one area that people dont mess with. I read somewhere that the water temp fluctuations are common in these old jets. I'm surprised considering that constant water temperatures in a motor tend to produce many positives. HP should increase, fuel economy will be better, and motor should last longer, did I miss anything?

jaqquuuz
    Hey 77 bring up Bassetts web site he should have a picture of what they are saying. Remember though the pics are for over the transom headers but you can get a general idea of what your looking at. Just my .02 I dont run with a thermostat it just takes some playing around with the water valve to get the setting that your looking for. Good luck.

travis hathaway
    77_Tahiti Here's a description of what I have experienced with "watering a jet":
    We'll follow the flow;
    from the pump to the logs for warming before entering the engine. From the logs to the front of the engine(an area that once supported an automobile water pump). During this time the water will be circulating thru the heads, block and exits from the thermostat housing on the intake manifold. At this point, the warmed water flows from the two fittings on the thermostat housing to the riser or elbow at the back of the logs to cool the exhaust gases and prevent the rubber hoses that connect to the transom tips from melting. The above is a system without a thermostat! At this point, I didn't understand step #4 of spectras only as in step #3 he has 2 hoses connecting to a T fitting which would equal 4 hoses that connect to the thermostat housing in step #4. I think he means that two hoses of warmed water from the logs go to the automobile water pump inlets where they could be T'd off to the risers while some warmed water goes thru the block and is held until a desired temp. is reached at which point the thermostat opens and the water is hosed out thru the risers also or out the transom like on open header boats thru a sorta bilge pump fitting.

spectras only
    Tahiti, I told Dave to cut he's conversations shorter,but he's just as enthusiastic as any of us about boating and he spends a lot of time with he's customers on the phone.After all he's his own boss so I can't tell him off http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif. Anyway ,sorry if I didn't make myself clear ,just send me your fax number and Dave will fax you all the variations on plumbing.Over the transom headers require a different setup.The two extra Tfittings hook up where the automotive waterpump goes, as Travis said.You end up having four hoses at the thermostat housing.