Thread: High volume oil pump and restrictors?

dgie
    I was reading thru some of the older posts and realized something. I am running the Mondello high volume oil pump, 10 qt oil pan, restricted pushrods, and some restrictors that were pressed into the block. Not sure what makes the high volume oil pump diffrent from the regular oil pump, but i am wondering if that oil pump should be stock. I bought the oiling kit for my 455 from Mondello awhile back which came with a high volume oil pump and I later added the restricted push rods just last summer due to too much oil going to the heads. It seems like the oiling kit from Mondelo should not be High volume for the 455, any ideas why they include it? Other then blowing my motor quicker and making me come back for new parts.

Mark Sims
    I have the same setup. Run it. Olds will live if you build it right and dont run wide open for too long. Mine is 9 years old.

Foggerjet
    Agreed. I have the same deal. you should be OK. Keep your RPM under 5000= lot's of years of service.
    fog

dgie
    Thanks yall, as far as the rpm's, at wide open I am spinining at 5100 rpm's. I believe that is because i may have an oversized impeller in my pump, which is acting like a governor on my boat (good thing). I will continue to run it.

malcolm
    Hey dgie, long time no see! The hi-volume pump is a good thing in an Olds. Especially since you have the other stuff in there. The Olds can handle an HV pump better than a Ford because the drive gear on the distributer directly drives the pump shaft instead of relying on the roll pin to turn it. I do hope you got a HD driveshaft for it though.

dgie
    Hey Malcolm good to hear from you, ready for the summer? me too I am not sure which drive shaft I am running right now, but I think it is a pretty good one though. What does HD stand for? Are you still running the olds this summer or did you go chevy?

malcolm
    I've got a Chevy in the early stages, but still Olds powered for awhile. The HD just means heavy duty. :wink:
    I have yet to pull the cover off, been busy with work. Hopefully soon I'll get her out and make sure she's good to go.

dgie
    HD I was thinking it was something technical I still have to do work on my trailer, bust rust change out bunks. I am not sure how I will tackle this. I hate to pull the motor then lift the boat off the trailer. Any suggestions? Malcolm? Anyone?