Thread: Water leak

mrmaxum
    Just had my pump overhauled (Berkley JE 12) I have a bad water leak looks like its coming in around the bolts that hold the intake water gate in. Maybe I didn't get it sealed good enough (silicone) or should I be looking somewhere else or use something else to seal with. If anyone had any ideas would appreciate it. Thanks

Taylorman
    So your leak is coming from the 4 bolts that hold the intake grate in? If so, put some anti seize on the bolts. That should make them easier to take out and should seal the leak. I would not put silicone cause that may make them hard to take out.

Taylorman
    Dragboats, you have a bolt with a nut inside the bolt holding your grate in?

bp
    Yep a lock nut, it is a NJBA requirment as well as a good practice. I believe they must also be 5/16 bolts. As I said and I am sure I am not the only one, hence the rule- but I have had them come loose and this can have some very negative effects hanging under your boat by one loose bolt :squiggle: .
    Both my Baker and the Daytona are bolted through with lock nuts.
    the rule also says no stainless. if they're nice and snug with antisieze, they won't leak. even if they don't come loose, they should be pulled out once in awhile and checked for any stretching, deformity, replaced when necessary.