Thread: Jack Plates, are they useful?

77_Tahiti
    Can anyone tell me if jack plates are really helpful? My boat is a 18 footer with a Panther Jet and currently has a couple on it. When I redo the boat I would'nt mind removing them, they look like crap! Planning to remove the plates this weekend out on the lake to see if there is any noticeable diference. If this is a mistake please let me know.

flat broke
    I think you are refering to trim tabs. Jack plates are used in outboard (eggbeater) setups between the transom and the outboard. Without seeing your hull, I would say leave them on. It costs $950 to have a diverter installed on your panther to adjust trim, and if you have plates, the previous owner may have found a reason for them. If they are adjustable from inside the boat, play with them a bit to see if you notice any speed diferences. If they are the types you have to adjust from outside the boat, do the same, but mark their original location before you start messing with them. Bottom line, try em before you junk em.
    Good luck,
    Chris

beached1
    I agree with flatbroke,
    My buddy has a 77 Marlin with a panther. He went with the hydrolic trim tabs because a diverter would be too expensive. He loves them. He just pushes a button to adjust to the water conditions.

Cas42
    I was told by the local Panther rep that the trim tabs would be a better option on my boat. Also said it would be less money than the Panther diverter thingie. As Chris said, don't toss them until you really test them in different conditions.