Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Driver's licenses for boats: members poll for article

h2oedits
    Boat insurance is more of an issue than ever...performance boats have never been more accessible to the masses, and everyone's favorite waterways are more and more crowded, increasing the "bonehead" factor...is it time for mandatory drivers licensing for boaters?
    Some people think so. They point out that if ALL of us were armed with a few basic skills, a command of the "rules of the road," and the potential to have our boating "privileges" taken away (multiple BWI's, accidents, etc.), the lake would be safer, we'd have fewer accidents, insurance rates would go down, etc.
    Others of us feel that the last thing we need is another government infringement on our rights just to "be"...that boating is the last, mostly unregulated motorsports frontier...that licensed or not, there are still going to be the same, proportionate number of nit-wits on the water...
    Where do you stand, and why? Thanks in advance for your .02!!!
    Kevin Spaise
    Hot Boat

spectratoad
    Yes there are alot of idiots on the water. I would like to see what the numbers are for boats on water versus accidents???
    It seems that a majority of the accidents are alcohol related and a DL would not have mattered.
    Would a boating safety course be a good idea? I don't think I would have too much heartache with that. :idea:
    I don't think that a DL is a good idea though.

shueman
    Boating is the ONLY motorized activity the DOES NOT require a license, driving test, etc.....that's GOT TO CHANGE..... :jawdrop:
    Car, motorcycle, off-road, moped, all have requirements.....you can buy a boat today and go out on the water, no questions asked.....NOT right....
    Just my 2¢

Licesces for boating?....Methinks its just another way for government to get into our pockets. Licences will not curb accidents or idiots, proof of that is our roads, just look at any freeway at rush hour which is 5 AM to 10 PM. Since when does a licence give anyone the right [privlige] to drive. The last 3 or 4 people that have hit my car, truck and house all did not have a licence or insurance and their cars had bogus regestration so there was no way to track down the culprit. Another bad guy gets off Scott-free. Put my vote in the "no" column

CARLSON-JET
    those that follow the law will .. those who don't want too won't. I think It's going on the books soon anyways.. R.B.

hoolign
    By 2009 all boaters up here must have taken and passed a safe boating course.. It's a fairly idiotic course .but a step in the right direction..I think everyone who wants to have a power boat should graduate their way up the way most of us did ( i havent finished graduating in that sence) learn howto run a 12 foot boat before they are allowed to drop their asses ina 100 MPH boat. You all have seen it.some shmuck decides he wants to get a boat , which is alright and kudos to him. But to get in a boat that does a 100 and get right to it without knowing port from starboard or the bow from the the stern is just an accident waiting to happen. You see these morons at the boat launch looking like they are trying to back up a rope. There needs to be compitancy testing not only for purchasers but for the real hazards...the renters! boats, lake lice, whatever any knothead with 50 bucks can get in a boat or on a sea doo and act the fool, piss responsible boaters off and run half hazard all over the waterways with out any regard to safe operation.

robert_pv
    I believe a voluntary boating safety school is a good idea especially if that would make the lake safer and reduce my insurance rates. Any time the government gives a privilege they look to it as a way for additional revenues so they can buy what we don’t want. Next will be additional and tighter laws like speeding, illegal u-turns, too much rooster, too much wake or too much of whatever they feel like ticketing you for. Next you have points on your license and your insurance rates are higher than if you would have never taken boating safety in the first place. Next comes boating safety survival school and community service so you can get your license back. It’s a vicious channel I don’t care to navigate through.

hoolign
    I believe a voluntary boating safety school is a good idea especially if that would make the lake safer and reduce my insurance rates. Any time the government gives a privilege they look to it as a way for additional revenues so they can buy what we don’t want. Next will be additional and tighter laws like speeding, illegal u-turns, too much rooster, too much wake or too much of whatever they feel like ticketing you for. Next you have points on your license and your insurance rates are higher than if you would have never taken boating safety in the first place. Next comes boating safety survival school and community service so you can get your license back. It’s a vicious channel I don’t care to navigate through.
    I think it should be mandatory! not volentary!..making it a licence I'm not for.. but mandatory safe boating course..yes. I agree that if given the opportunity it would be another cash cow for the goverment and we don't need that. What i would like to see is at least all boaters should know the "rules of the water" .your always gonna have show offs ( I fit right in there) And your always going to have idiots..( leave that alone Brown) but lets at least get people educated in what the should be doing. I have reported more than one moron and the cops dealt with them ...one of the first things out of their mouths is " well gee I did'nt know that" well what the hell are you doing on the water then ???

robert_pv
    I think it should be mandatory! not volentary!..making it a licence I'm not for.. but mandatory safe boating course..yes. I agree that if given the opportunity it would be another cash cow for the goverment and we don't need that. What i would like to see is at least all boaters should know the "rules of the water" .your always gonna have show offs ( I fit right in there) And your always going to have idiots..( leave that alone Brown) but lets at least get people educated in what the should be doing. I have reported more than one moron and the cops dealt with them ...one of the first things out of their mouths is " well gee I did'nt know that" well what the hell are you doing on the water then ???
    With all due respect Hoolign your comment is hypocritical in that if you make it mandatory than it is licensing. If you refuse to take the course than you don’t get ??

hoolign
    With all due respect Hoolign your comment is hypocritical in that if you make it mandatory than it is licensing. If you refuse to take the course than you don’t get ??
    I think there is a big differnce in it being a licence..or weather it is just a "boating awareness course"

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast