Thread: fuel injection?

thatllwork
    I have a 24' eliminator v bottom boat with a 7.4l bbc with a four barrel holley 750 (I think) and overall I am happy with the performance of the motor except that it is a bear to start and keep running when it is cold. I have tried to change jets and mess with the carb and the problem persists. I think I would like to go to efi. Is this worth the cost? Will I notice any improvement in performance or mpg? Where should I go for the efi system? Which system is best. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Unchained
    EFI is the direction that EVERYONE WILL EVENTUALLY GO TO.
    Best place to start is to get yourself a book and read up on it.
    You can get a couple good ones right off the Amazon.com site.
    It's not going to be a "bolt on and forget it" thing, at least not until its properly tuned.
    It's involved and you have to learn it or you will be extremely frustrated.
    There will be more performance, better fuel economy, and easy cold starting.
    "How to tune and modify engine management systems" is a good book.
    Also,
    "Building and tuning high performance electronic fuel injection"
    As far as cold starting goes,
    Here's a cold start on a TT / EFI 1400 + hp beast,
    Never touched the gas pedal,
    www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/cold start.MPG

TJS
    Go to hotrodsolutions.net. He converted my tunnel ram that I will be using for future use. I was going to do it myself but I did not want to create scrap. Here are a couple of pics he did for me. I will be building a box and GM LS1 style throttle body for it. I will be using a Gen 7 set up maybe. Then I will add a power adder.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    http://www.tjsperformance.com/images/bbcbuild10.jpg
    http://www.tjsperformance.com/images/bbcbuild12.jpg

Beer-30
    A lot of people putting on whipples and other intakes sometimes have factory (later model) setups they need to get rid of. You might look for OEM Merc stuff.
    You could check with Ben Benavides at Arizona Speed and Marine. They have a hot aftermarket EFI (happens to be the same as HP500EFI) setups and several take-offs.
    http://www.azspeed.com/

texas-19
    Have you tried opening up the idle air/fuel mixture screws on the sides of the metering blocks?.Changing the jets won't do anything for the idle.Might be just a screw adjustment.Sometimes when they are closed too much it will starve for fuel.When it is cold you really can tell it.
    Fuel injection is a better way to go but you may just need to make an adjustment.

SmokinLowriderSS
    EFI is nice, but a proper set of adjustments ought to cure the worst of your problems. My 454 only refuses to idle for about 1 minuite, max, then settles right in. With the stock cam & manifold it was only like 20 or 30 seconds, and that's all with no choke function or high-idle operation. As already said, jets won't do anything to idle, that belongs to the idle mixture screws.
    Get it started and fully warmed up. Preferably hook up a bench-tach to give you better RPM reading at low range, and slowly close 1 mixture screw till the idle JUST drops a bit (to lean), count the turns back out. Come back out till it drops just a bit again (to rich), then go to mid-point. Now repeat on the other side, and repeat both sides again to make sure both are working evenly, they should be. Now just make sure your ignition is in good shape and the timing is spec, and mine starts, idles, and runs great, on a 27 year old Holley 4-barrell.