Thread: Return Line?

BigMo
    Hey guys i have a barry grant fuel pump that requires a return line. My question is since i have two tanks do i just make a "T" and run to both tanks??? Will is distribute even? or is there another way? thanks
    Also i cant get the pump to start sucking gas from the tanks.
    Mo

Beer-30
    If you don't mind it pulling from both tanks, you could probably get away with both feed and return being tee'd. Usually, you get a valve, either electric (IMCO Supervalve) or manual that has six ports.
    I have never seen a return system tee'd, but I myself don't see a problem, except you don't have the dual tank control.

Tahiti350
    Easier way would be to loop the return line back into the supply (pump in) line about 12" or so before the pump. All it needs is a way to dump the excess pressure, should not have to go all the way back to the tank. Chrysler did it this way from the factory.....

Old Guy
    I run 2 tanks into a tee. The lines are about equal length and the tee is centered above the jet pump on the transom. The tank lines are 3/8" fuel hose. The hose from the tee to the fuel pump is 1/2" fuel hose. There is a tee just before the pump and this is where I connected the return line from the pressure regulator. You can see all the important parts in the pic. The little thingy at the end of the hard piping is a pressure switch that turns on a small very bright LED on the instrument panel if the fuel pressure drops below the 6 psi. set point.
    This system has worked well for the past 3 seasons for me.
    To get fuel from your tanks to (through) your fuel pump, loosen the fuel line between the fuel pump and the carb. While plugging the fuel tank vent, apply a SMALL amount of air pressure to the fuel tank. This will GENTLY force fuel through the lines and the pump. When fuel starts coming out of the loosened connection, the line is full and the pump should work. You will probably need to do this to both tanks to get the air out of the fuel lines.
    http://files.triton.net/old1/fuel_system.jpg