Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rudder for place diverter...

kronikenergy
    I am having a place diverter installed and would like to know if any of you would suggest installing the rudder? I have no experience in this matter. The current configuration does have a rudder but I don't know how much it contributes as I have never been without it and am unable to compare. Any feedback would be much apreciated. Thanks. FYI-1977 Challenger 19' and do 99% of my boating at the river near Oxbow/Destiny's Riviera. Thanks...

sidewound
    My agressor came with one but it's the size of a popsicle stick. Don't think it does a damn bit of good. Looks better than the empty spot it would leave I guess.
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

olbiezer
    rudders are a subject that always cause alot of .......ya there good.........no there not contraversity. i always liked the low speed manuverability it gave me but someone on here will always disagree! one thing for sure....unless u are going for some speed record...... it cant hurt! good luck with it.

MudPumper
    rudders are a subject that always cause alot of .......ya there good.........no there not contraversity. i always liked the low speed manuverability it gave me but someone on here will always disagree! one thing for sure....unless u are going for some speed record...... it cant hurt! good luck with it.
    OK, I'll be the first do disagree :wink: It's a waste of money and you will never know the difference. Forget about the rudder. Seriously.

olbiezer
    told ya!!!

Sanger Jet
    OK, I'll be the first do disagree :wink: It's a waste of money and you will never know the difference. Forget about the rudder. Seriously.
    Yepper

TBONE1904
    pros: very very very very very very very small advantage in low speed manuverability.
    cons: more money, usually hits while towing, reduced clearance on water.
    I didnt install a rudder on my 19' Bahner, and never knew the difference. I dont think you will even know it is gone if you dont reinstall.

NELSON#109
    My Turn.... I Ran The Large Place Ruder On Two Of My Boats. 1st On My 72 Sleekcraft. On The Sleek, It Did Not Make A Noticable Differance At Any Speed. On My Challenger, It Did Nothing To Help At Low Speeds, But At High Speeds, It Would Take Advantage Of The Small Amount Of Slack In The Steering Cable And Dance Left N Right. The Wheel Would Be Gin L To R In Ur Hands About 1 Inch Ea. Way. Made The Boat Dance A Little. The Only Way To Stop The Dance Was To Turn One Way Or The Other A Bit. I Shit Caned It After Tryin Everything To Reduce The Steering Play ( Which Was Near Nothing ). The Ruder Is On My Tri-hull Now, Dont Think It Will Ever Go Fast Enough To Hurt It, N Might Help A Little In A Tight Turn ( Not ). I Say Shit Can It.... I Could Let Of The Gas At Full Throttle N Turn It All The Way Either Way, And It Didnt Do Chit.

flat broke
    Personally, I think they are worthless, but something to remember for anyone that might be looking to set up a circle boat/nostalgia/endurance rig. Most sanctioning bodies will require a rudder that extends a minimum of 4" below the thrustline. So if you have one and plan on racing your boat outside of the drags, don't toss the bugger.
    Chris

olbiezer
    ok ....my 2 cents again......most of u guys run the west coast and colorado wish doesent have alot of turns and is wide. here in sh_t land mississippi we have narrow rivers and lots of turns.........so.....it can help or not depends on your rig. but when my engine quit once in a turn at 50 mph it sure helped me turn and stop short of the woods. if u got it try it if it dont work take it off. ...that simple. tril and error. good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast