Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So how bad will it be???

bear down
    Took the boat out this weekend and ran great on Saturday. Boat started great on Sunday and on our way to Steamboat we started to hear a clicking noise from what I assume was the drive. Cruised in to steamboat cove and decided to head back to camp and noticed the clicking get louder as I accelarated. Shut down the boat and got towed back. The boat clicks while in the forward gear but not reverse. Took the boat to Eliminator yesterday and just got a call from them saying when they drained the oil they saw metal shavings. They will have a Merc Tech look at it and let me know what the problem/s are. I am thinking I must have grenaded the gears. I say it'll cost me about $1300 bucks or so. What are your opinions??

Big Warlock
    Couple grand for drive to be rebuilt. Unless your casing is damaged. On the bad side......$15K for an XR drive right now. Buy one out of Florida, warranty and all, somewhere near $7K plus shipping.
    I just went through this and ended up with a Teague Marine Platinum XR drive with 13 hours on it, used. Am happy other than the gears are too low and have lost some speed. But still working on it.
    Try the gear heads on this forum. They have a lot of info. Good luck!!
    Rob

dirty old man
    Its time to put a spare in your box, just like you do with impellers, belts and spark plugs. Just a part of boating. there are a lot of Bravo's around for sale

bear down
    Its time to put a spare in your box, just like you do with impellers, belts and spark plugs. Just a part of boating. there are a lot of Bravo's around for sale
    Where would I look to find a good one??

djunkie
    Well if you still have forward and reverse I wouldn't think it would be too bad. If I read correctly you said you only had a noise in forward but it still went. Maybe you'll getting lucky and it won't be a whole new drive.

bohica
    Whatever you do, don't let it cut into the buggy budget.
    That's what you get for running the big HP. Just kidding, was kind of nice getting to kick back and relax on the tow back. Madison and Don doing the driving as Susi and I got to kick back.

bear down
    Whatever you do, don't let it cut into the buggy budget.
    That's what you get for running the big HP. Just kidding, was kind of nice getting to kick back and relax on the tow back. Madison and Don doing the driving as Susi and I got to kick back.
    Good thing we had you guys...Felt really bad about having you tow us back..>I told Monica that I wanted to drive the boat back until it died but she changed my mind :boxingguy :boxingguy :lightsabe , glad she did. We have a special slush fund for incidents like this (credit cards). :messedup: . Thanks again for your help and hope you guys enjoyed your cruise back...

bohica
    I thought you were just getting me back for not towing your boat up to Havasu. :idea:
    The neighbor that lives across the street from me owns Max Machine Works.

bear down
    I thought you were just getting me back for not towing your boat up to Havasu. :idea:
    The neighbor that lives across the street from me owns Max Machine Works.
    We'll get you one way or another!! :crossx: ...Does this mean we have a hook up if we need our drive repaired/rebuilt??

Eliminator 4 Life
    Damn Bro sorry to hear about this... SO no regatta?? What happened on the 26 get back to me let me know whats up. Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast