Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suction Piece/Intake Housing Gasket

Flip
    I'm trying to remove the gasket from off the top of the suction piece where it mounts up the the bottom of the intake housing. That thing is stuck like a BIATCH. Are there any secret little tricks to getting it peel up easier? :squiggle:

OK, just for clarification, the "intake" is the part that is bolted into the hull and the "suction housing" is the part that is removeable and contains the shaft, impeller, etc.
    Best suggestion would be to get some spray carb or brake cleaner and soak the gasket. Use a razor knife, utility blade or gasket scraper to carefully slice between gasket and housing. Once you have a section started, you might be able to use a stiff putty knife to continue separating the gasket.
    Avoid the temptation to use power tools! You need to keep a nice flat surface to insure proper gasket sealing.

MudPumper
    What OldSquirt said, soak it in some kind of solvent and then scrape with a gasket removing tool.

bakerjet
    scrape till it hurts,it'll come off :220v:

NELSON#109
    If U Have Skills, A 4" Grinder W/ A Mild Flap Sander Works Best. I Use It For That Exact Deal, And Many Others. In Fact I Almost Never Use Anything But The Flap Sander On The Grinder. It Is One Of Those Tools That I Use Several Times Per Day, On All Sorts Of Projects. The Flap Sander Eats Up The Gaskets, But Is Pretty Easy On Aluminum. You Have To Really Lay Into It To Hurt It. Jus Make Sure You Wear A Dust Mask... The Zinc Oxide Primer On The Pump Parts Will Waist Ur Lungs Bad.... Ive Been Stupid N Though, Ahhh Im Jus Doin A Small Piece, And Been Hurtin For Days After. Dust Mask ,no Probs. When You Reinstall The Gasket, Do Urself A Favor And Give It A Very Light Coat Of Anti Sieze On Both Sides If The Gasket..... It Will Seal Perfect, And The Next Time U Remove It ( Even 10 Yrs Down The Road) It Will Pop Right Off N You Will Be Able To Re-use It....

mmm, id stay away from the grinder deal, get a scraper or putty knife and go to town, if theres silicone holding it on,use some gasoline, it helps.

NELSON#109
    The Word Grinder Scares A Lot Of People Cs, But U Gotta Understand... Im Using A Fine Grit Flap Sander On It, Just A Hop Skip And A Jump Away From A Scotch Brite Pad..... Dont Be Scared!!!!!!!

I feel ya Nelson.
    Just be careful with it, dont get into the alum.

steelcomp
    Permatex used to make (don't know if they do anymore) a spray on gasket remover that worked like a champ! Spray it on, and it bubbles up and softens the gasket in minutes. If not, soapy water and a sponge works better than solvent or laquer thinner to soften the thick gasket material for scraping. Get a good stiff scraper and put a sharp edge on it....just don't dig into the aluminum. :coffeycup

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
    Permatex used to make (don't know if they do anymore) a spray on gasket remover that worked like a champ! Spray it on, and it bubbles up and softens the gasket in minutes. If not, soapy water and a sponge works better than solvent or laquer thinner to soften the thick gasket material for scraping. Get a good stiff scraper and put a sharp edge on it....just don't dig into the aluminum. :coffeycup
    What he said!!! Budlight P.S. :idea: I put a thin layer of grease on both sides of gasket. Most times ya can reuse the gasket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast