Thread: Oil

RiverRatRusty
    I have a 23' Cheetah with a 2000 6.2L Mercruiser/Bravo1 and I need some oil advice. I have the Selco manual it says to only use 25-40 oil. The previous owner used 20-40 and the shop I had do my maintenance (didn't feel like doing it myself) said they use 20-50 in all boat motors.
    Anybody have any input or reasons why I might want to drain the 20-50 and put 20-40 back in.

Super D
    Is there really that much difference? Synthetic or dinosaur? I am curious, too. My manual says never use mixed weight, only straight...? 4.3 mercruiser - any input/opinion is welcome!

Super D
    I meant difference in the 20-40 vs 20-50 (major difference?). I know syn is way better than dino...

RiverRatRusty
    I am running Royal Purple syn. My racer head buddies say it is better than any other syn out there...even red line. Now if we can just get the weight thing figured out.
    I meant difference in the 20-40 vs 20-50 (major difference?). I know syn is way better than dino...

BK
    Mobile 1 15-50. Ive also used Valvoline VR1 20-50 and had good luck with it so far as non sinthetics go. Also used to use Kendal 20-50, great oil, but now with the changes they've made im not sure? Also make sure to use a good filter!

Blown 472