Thread: Trailer Axle

Some Kind Of Monster
    I took the wheel off of my competition tandem trailer to discover that my problem was a grenaded bearing. No problem, I went and bought a new bearing and seals. I went to put the new one on and discovered that the bearing surface under the axle (where you cant see it) has a nice gouge. OUCH! Is there any way to repair this or do I need a new axle?

SmokinLowriderSS
    Is the area actually the inner race for the bearing? If it is not, then you could just file it smooth enough to let the new bearing race slip over it. If it is an integral race surface, I'm thinking you are geting the axle end replaced by a competent trailer shop (got to be square to direction of travel).

Captain Assin' Off
    I've had the same issue. That area is a seat for the race, and as is stated, just file it smooth, slip on the new bearings, and Viola'.
    Mine spun so hard the wheel actually passed me on the road, that was my first lesson on wheel bearing maintenance. Thank god for tandem axles! I was on my first date with a new chick, can you believe she actually married such a fool?!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    If not billy, take it off and bring it to me. I can get the old race pressed out and a new one in You know where i work