Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hot Thunder Nationals In Brady Jun. 4th - 5th

sdba069
    Hey David... That alternator is under warranty. Call Kenneth at 817-641-2905. Tell him it's the one I recently got the diode for.

PGF545
    I am not sure yet if I am going or not, but the boat that I am helping out with will be there. It is a Pro Gas Flat #367 called Nasty Habit. It is the one that John White drove in Waco. I hope we can get the stumble problem figured out before then...lol. I have a whole bag of tricks that I am going to throw at it this weekend. Good luck to you guys in Brady and if I make it i will look you guys up.
    Libertor, did you buy that bell housing from some flat bottom guys??? Because we sold the one that was in our old boat, maybe that was you???lol.
    Bernie

sdba069
    Hey Bernie..... I'll bet that was a lean stumble at Waco because the air was so good. Just showing up at Brady should take care of that. We've never had very good air there.

PGF545
    Gary, Thats what I was thinking too, but we went richer on Sunday and that didn't help either. After talking to the guy that owned the boat before, he said that it always had a stumble and he just eased on it....that doesn't make any sense to me. I have always be able to flat foot it and go like crazy. I am going to put the carbs off our boat on there and try that first bafore I go crazy making too many changes. The exhaust temps were low at idle too so that makes me think the thing was too rich at idle????
    Bernie

sdba069
    There are lots of possibilites. Usually, you almost can't get one too rich to create a stumble without creating all kinds of other problems. It sounds almost like squirters or pump cams, from what the previous owner told you. Does it have zoomies or headers? Seen similar problems with zoomies where the carbs had a weak signal at the boosters. Slow timing has also been a culprit. Oh well, my .02. Hope you guys make it to Brady. See you there.....

PGF545
    Gary, it has headers. My next move is going to put the 7AL3 box on it and add some timing and then retard it down track a little. I just don't want to make too many changes at a time. When we got it the motor was all together and fresh off the dyno so we stuck it in there without changing anything. Now we need to get it setup for Texas as opposed to Calif. The air is a bunch different and I am going to pull out the log book and see where we were at with our stuff and then go from there. I know the motors are not the same, but it should give me a starting point. I think the air bleeds are wrong, it may need some different ones in the idle and mid range circuits. I am sure that I can figure it out...lol. I am stuborn and will not give up :messedup: .
    Bernie

sdba069
    Hey Bernie.......... The air bleeds are certainly a possibility. Timing another. Were you talking about a Digital 7 box? I've dynoed lots of jet boat motors and without a doubt, the max tune-up on the dyno won't be right in the real world. Without exception, in my experience, the motor will be lean and want more timing in the boat. I haven't dynoed any of our v-drive stuff and then compared optimum tune-ups. I know that the v-drive stuff works a whole lot like the car motors on the dyno. The tune-ups seem to be similar. I guess it's because of similar RPM ramps, as compared to a jet boat, where you are at idle and when you hammer it you go to full RPM instantly and in a perfect world, stays there till the end of the run.

sdba069
    One other thing......... Is it a Pontiac headed deal??????????

Liberator TJ1984
    Yea, Bernie !!!
    That would be me , I guess thanks for the hookup on the bellhousing :wink:

LewdAct
    hey chris,, you know you have to pull the motor on that trailer bitch to install that bell housing ,, dont you!!!!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast