Thread: Loader ?

Taylorman
    Whats the difference between different types of loaders. I noticed that my loader directs water at the bottom of my impeller. I have heard of top loaders, bottom loaders and blocker loaders. Whats the difference between them?

MAXIMUS
    There are many differences. Where they collect water, where they exit the water. Some block off water etc... This is a very loaded question & has many different facets to explain...

1978 Rogers
    There are many differences. Where they collect water, where they exit the water. Some block off water etc... This is a very loaded question & has many different facets to explain...
    Well put Max. I've read on here that you don't want more loader than you engine can handle. If you go to Berk., some of the other websites or a shope that sell loaders. You'll notice some for under 500 hp and some over 500 hp.

UBFJ #454
    What MAXIMUS said is very true: "There are many differences" (in configurations/shapes/styles of loaders). "Where they collect water, where they exit the water. Some block off water etc..."
    The reason for this is that different hull types (and even different boats of the same hull type) with different weights & balances, Hp, carrying different numbers of people, etc. require different loaders to direct & optimize the water flow to the face of the impeller. Loaders are primarily 'Water Directors' which work in concert with the boats keel, shim & shoe, ride plate, droop and nozzle etc. ... to get the optimum amount of water to the face of the impeller for the purpose the boat is being used ... Recreation (different water conditions), racing (of all different types), etc..
    Finding THE RIGHT LOADER (or LOADERS for different water conditions) for a particular boat can be a 'Very Trying Experience' ... Especially for a Race Boat. Last year we tried 13 different loader designs, some not to very different, and we're still not quite there on keeping the pump fully loaded throughout the 1/4 mile ... we have 5 new loaders that we've made based on our previous testing that are ready when we go back on the Race Circuit ... and we still may have to make a few more to find that 'Sweet One or Two' that will suit our purposes given the other bottom hardware we're going to run. I also may have to again modify the keel ever so slightly to get everything working together ... ????? ... Just have to wait and see.
    For a recreational boat, finding a good sturdy and reasonably efficient loader is not so much a problem as with a Racer. The fastest and cheapest way I know for someone not experienced in loader design and fabrication to get a loader that will do their job is to take the boat to an experienced Jet Boat Hand and have him lay up under the boat and make a few measurements, give him the details of Hp, etc. and have him fabricate a loader particular to the boat ... By doing it this way rather than just buying a generic, off the shelf, might or might not work (with your particular boat and its hardware) loader, I think one would save time, money and a lot of frustration.
    Just a final comment about building your own ... Do It Right Or Be Willing To Suffer The Consequences. We build our own, are very careful about how we design & build them ... and ... we've had a couple of Close Calls.
    About building your own ... we build all our loaders out of 3/16 ths hot rolled steel (not cold rolled) except for the mounting plate which is 1/4 inch hot rolled ... All welds are continuous welds and MIG Welded using Chromemoly Rod. After all the welding is completed, we do quite a bit of hand finish work before we are ready to bolt them up into the suction piece ... A word of warning, if you are ever in our pits Do Not Just Pick Up One Of Our Loaders ... You May Inadverantly Cut Yourself Very Badly as certain edges a sharpened to where they are Razor Sharp.

MAXIMUS
    A word of warning, if you are ever in our pits Do Not Just Pick Up One Of Our Loaders ... You May Inadverantly Cut Yourself Very Badly as certain edges a sharpened to where they are Razor Sharp.
    Yea and or get biatch slapped... :hammerhea Touching a jet racers pieces can cause that reaction sometimes!
    Nice post by the way...

MAXIMUS
    I have a loader & several shoes which I made that are still in the box because I have not had the time or proper enviorment to test in. I try to explain to my jet buddies that testing requires some serious controlled enviorments for accurate measurements & results... Not always an easy task!

1978 Rogers
    Taylorman, are you looking for a loader for the boat shown on your threads? A weekend lake boat or a RACEBOAT? I think theres a big difference here.

mgar_red
    Not meaning to steal Taylorman's thread, but I was curious as to what some of you would recommend for the same model boat he shows as his sig?
    I have an SJ also, all stock, Berk E, with possible future upgrades that would stay under 500hp. I don't know its exact weight, but old sales brochures list it at 1670 lbs, which seems really heavy compared to alot of others I've read about.
    Right now there is one of those angle iron jobs that Berkeley sells that was on there when I got it, which i've read some folks don't care for. Even with that it had some serious cavitation on the center, but that was also there when I bought it. I installed one of Duane's E-shoe kits to get more water in before installing the new detailed Berk A. So far so good and haven't seen any cavitation marks, and I did pick up an extra 2 mph =59gps.
    If my primary use is cruising with an occasional blast, what do you think would be a good one step up from the current loader?

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    Maximus,
    Thanks A Lot For The Killer Information! That's What Makes This Forum So Good...bill