Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about running the perko switch on all (496HO) Stereo related

Cole Trickle
    Question for the experts.
    I have read and heard conflicting information in regards to running your perko (2 batteries) at the same time.
    I am in the process of adding 2 Odyssey 1700 batteries to my boat with a second perko switch for the stereo and need to know what the cons are of running the boat with 2 batteries.
    I would like to run perko 1 on battery 1 and perko 2 on battery 1 while motoring.
    If I hook the second bank of batteries up to the alternator I will need to run battery #1 to start the boat and battery 3or 4 for the stereo.(I want the stereo on it's own batteries away from my starting battery)
    So can you run 2 batteries or is there a problem doing that with the Merc 496ho?
    please give me feed back with concrete info.
    Thanks
    Brandin

shadow
    I run mine on all all the time.Never had a problem.I do have 2 large batteries and wouldn't recomend someone to run it on all unless they are truly confident they won't drain thier batteries.I know my batteries will not leave me straned.Most cases i would recomend run on 1 or 2 and save one for starting.After rereading your question,I run the boat on all at all times,never had a concern with my 496

Cole Trickle
    I run mine on all all the time.Never had a problem.I do have 2 large batteries and wouldn't recomend someone to run it on all unless they are truly confident they won't drain thier batteries.I know my batteries will not leave me straned.Most cases i would recomend run on 1 or 2 and save one for starting.After rereading your question,I run the boat on all at all times,never had a concern with my 496
    Are you running 2 or 4 batteries?(I know you have those bid life alert thingy's)
    single or dual perko?
    I still plan on charging the 1700's overnight but want the stereo to play while running on the lake or cruising thru the channel.

INSman
    I am no electrician, but I am never worried about getting stranded as I carry one of those portable battery jumpers with me at all times. If I ever run the batteries down that far which I have yet to do or kill them entirely, I would just hook up the jumper and be on my way. $35 well invested I think

shadow
    Are you running 2 or 4 batteries?(I know you have those bid life alert thingy's)
    single or dual perko?
    I still plan on charging the 1700's overnight but want the stereo to play while running on the lake or cruising thru the channel.
    I'm running 2 batteries,big ass ones,single perko.I normally play stereo all day
    (cranked).I will usually throw a charge on at night for maint.Even if i don't throw the charge on for maint the batteries will last all weekend.
    You'l probablly be alright if you throw a charge on at night.Just carry a jump box till you are sure of your batteries and how they will last.

Beer-30
    Cole, the engine doesn't care what batts are there, or what order.
    The alternator just sees either one battery; or one BIG battery (multiples turned to ALL). It will just take longer to recharge more batteries than just one.

Havasu Hangin'
    The alternator just sees either one battery; or one BIG battery (multiples turned to ALL). It will just take longer to recharge more batteries than just one.
    And that BIG battery makes your alternator work VERY hard... :supp:

Beer-30
    And that BIG battery makes your alternator work VERY hard... :supp:
    Can I get an amen.

phebus
    I just run the boat on the number one position which is the single starting battery, and switch to the two position when I am sitting. I never use the all position on the perko. I don't even try to charge the stereo batteries, or all batteries for that matter with the alternator. I run the stereo batteries as a total loss type system, and charge them at night with a charger. The stock alternator takes a beating trying to charge all the batteries, and can't do it anyway.

Beer-30
    Well, yes and no. It CAN charge whatever is on the boat, based on time of charge and level of charge. If you only ran the stereo for 10 minutes and then went for a ride to the dam, they would be as charged as they could be with the alternator. Granted, a home/overnight charge will be more than an alternator. On the flip, if you ran the stereo for an hour or more and then just idled for 5 or 10 minutes, there's no way.
    I just figure the stock alternator will go as long as it can. Then, when I rebuild or replace, it will get upgraded to 120+ amps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast