Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel Pump Mounting

BK
    Yes they are blues and I do have heavy guage wire to both the pumps. The tech guy at holley asked me about that and mentioned the possibilty of them gett hot or failing because of it. Also im running 1/2" lines all the way to the regulator, should be ok.
    Chris, I wish I could run a mechanical, thats definately the way to go but not an option. Im thinking of leaving the pumps were there at, I feel more comfortable that if something happend with the gasket between the base and motor it wouldnt flood the boat with fuel. Not sure yet about the filter location but i'll figure it out. Thanks for all the responses guys.

BK
    My Holley POS is currently mounted down next to the stringer on the transom. Filter between the tanks and pump.
    Holley's suck! Brand new pump last year and its dead. I'm waiting for a new mechanical which should be here early next week and its adios to the POS Holley! :hammerhea
    Yeah jt ive heard that too many times, thats why im running TWO of them!!

byron on my tahiti i had the pump back on the stringer by the engine with the tank under the bow with a fuel and water seperator in between them and it would not work at all. thats when i called the tech line and they told me the pumps would rather push fuel then pump it. i ended up going to mech. on it. good luck
    pat(slotracer) :hammerhea

Byron, the higher you mount the pump, the harder you are making it work. It not only has to pump the fuel to the carb, but you are making it "lift" the fuel from the bottom of the tank as well.
    Mount the pumps lower than the tank and gravity will assist by "siphoning" the fuel from the tank to feed the pump.
    As for filters, I'd find a couple of cleanable filters to install between the tanks and pumps. They would act much like the "sock-type" filters commonly found on a car fuel tank pickup. Run your primary filter between pump and carbs.

BK
    Thanks Craig, I didnt want to but i'll move the pumps down on the transom as low as possible and try to find some less restrictive filters to go between them and the tanks. Boy im really starting to appritiate that mechanical pump I was running for the last 5 seasons!!!!!

JEThro
    Byron, Make sure you run your water seperator between the tank and the pump. The blades in Holley pumps are not stainless and rust real easy.

jtmarten
    I wish I could run a mechanical, thats definately the way to go but not an option. Im thinking of leaving the pumps were there at, I feel more comfortable that if something happend with the gasket between the base and motor it wouldnt flood the boat with fuel.
    If thats your only real concern about a mech you may want to reconsider. If the pump gasket started to leak it would leak oil, not gas. Marine mech pumps have a tube that connects to the carb or flame arrestor in case of diaphragm failure.

superdave013
    Thanks Craig, I didnt want to but i'll move the pumps down on the transom as low as possible and try to find some less restrictive filters to go between them and the tanks. Boy im really starting to appritiate that mechanical pump I was running for the last 5 seasons!!!!!
    why not run it for 5 more seasons?

BK
    why not run it for 5 more seasons?
    I just got this boat less motor. It came with a rail kit that has the alternator mount on the passanger side so theres no room for the mechanical pump. I was going to try and cut the front plate for the alternator on the other side but just dont feel comfortable doing it at this point.

Havasu Hangin'
    Byron, the higher you mount the pump, the harder you are making it work.
    Yes...those pumps mounted high get very hot (the candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12