Thread: ONE LAST OLDS QUESTION

Q-ball
    Im recarpeting the boat and got the motor all cleaned up and repainted. Got all my used parts I bought here polished up and ready to go on. Now here is my last Olds question (yea right!) I bought a Mildon 7qt pan off of this site and today my P.A.W. high volume pump and Mondello bolt on pick-up tube showed up. Since I did'nt do any of the Mondello oil system mods, am I about to make a mistake bolting on a high volume pump even though I am increasing my oil capacity to 7qts. Keep in mind this is a low, low hour stock 455 (stock cam, G heads, aluminum intake, 750 holley) that will spend most of it's time around 2500-3500 with the occasional blast to 4200 when I pull a skier out of the hole. The boat did this same duty for 20 years before loosing a motor (cracked head) with the stock pan and whatever oil pump they put in it in 1973.(had a push in pick-up whatever it was) Thanks for any help..

TaylorLP20
    There is no such thing as a "last" Olds question :-)

Q-ball
    Oh no!!, Don't tell me I opened up the door for more abuse from you non-Oldsmobile type guys!!!!!! I apologise to all my olds brotheren.

TaylorLP20
    No abuse bud, you must have missed the :-). Sometime my sense of humor gets a little weird at 2am!
    Sorry I couldn't give you more info on your question, but I haven't run a Olds in 19 years.
    Anyone who knows me will tell ya that I'm a firm believer in "run whatcha like". It would be a boring world if everyone ran a Chevy, and would never put down anyone who ran something else. (even eggbeaters) My Dad worked for an Olds dealer for quite a few years. My grey haired Momma even had a 71 Cutlass Supreme SX (455 4 speed), what a great ride. My last Olds was a 73 Cutlass S, 455/TH400 with air and those cool swivel buckets.Bought it new and loaded for under 4 grand from the dealer Dad worked for. Damn would I like to have that one back today. Even with a smog motor that beast would run 140 (2.73 gear!)
    And anyway, if it weren't for the Olds guys how would have Joe Mondello put his kids thru college? :-) again!
    Hope someone can help with your questions.

Wet Dream
    Q, sounds like things are coming together for you. But you are using a high volume oil pump on an unrestricted motor. That 7qt pan is 3 quarts over stock, but you can still pump the pan dry rather quickly. I bought my 9qt and when I redid the bottom end of my Olds, I went with the standard oil pump to avoid any dry pans. The oil pressure is still real good and should hold up.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I was told by my machine shop not to run a high volume pump with a small pan because the pump will push all of the oil to the lifters and you will not have anything left in the pan. I am not sure if its true but it sounds like it would make sense.I am running a 10 qt pan and he said it would be fine. I would get more advice be I would starve my engine of oil. Just my .02

Q-ball
    Taylor, I knew you were just kidding, it's all gooooooooooood! Wet dream, my new pan has a blocked off area with trapped doors on it (if that makes any sence??) will the oil pump I took off the boat work with my 7qt pan. The pickup is round, but the one I got from Mondellos that bolts up to the high-volume pump has a rectangular shaped pick up. I would be more than happy to send back my new pump and pick up if you guys think my stock type set up will work for me.