Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collector Length?

corlish
    I am curious about everyone's experiences with the traditional short straight style headers. I have a old set of the longs with the bells that I want to cut off. I am not sure if they will make the transom messy or not though since if I cut them, they won't extend past it.
    I was thinking about cutting at the "shorter" piece of tape below, but the "longer" piece will at least let them extend to part of the transom.
    Any opinions?
    http://rap.midco.net/corlish/graphics/boat/header2.jpg
    Thanks in advance!
    Corey

Squirtin Thunder
    Being that the engine is so far forward I would cut them about an inch past the end of the Bassett tag, to the rear of it !!! So if you run water it doesn't fill up the boat !!!
    Jim

HBjet
    I would cut them no longer then tape piece #2, maybe an inch in front of that. Then when you do that, measure the distance from where the 4 tubes meet as one to the end of the collector (or cut), then measure and cut the other header. Your headers won't be even to the transom, but they will be even in length from your cylinder heads!
    If your running so much water through your headers that you are going to be concerned about filling up the boat... you are running too much water!
    HBjet

Jake W2
    Corlish when I ordered my Bassett short strights I told Paul I wanted them really short like the tape 1 in you pic and he said it would put alot of water in the back of the boat also and talked me into getting them the standers length and the ends match for a nicer aperance.They are still prety short and do not go all the way out the back my motor is set about 23 24 inches from the transom to the back motor plate.I would cut them rite after the tag they will still look better than bells but not dump unwanted water in the back of the boat.
    Jake

UBFJ #454
    Before doing any cutting if I were you, I'd do some research on Header design ... How the lengths and sizes of the primary tubes (which your not proposing to cut) and collectors effect motor performance. On a NA Motor cutting the collectors back will change the back pressure on your valves and therefore the amount of scavaging which occurs between cylinders ... May not really be that much of an issue in your case, but, I'd check it out just as a matter of principal before cutting them any length.
    Note that NA Header Design is a subject unto itself and can be rather involved in terms of matching headers to a particular motor and its cam profile, combustion chamber size, etc., but, a cursory look at the principals involved may save you some heart ache in the end ... At least you'll know potentially what your getting yourself into.
    Just a thought.

oldbuck40
    bear, very well said! the other reason i would'nt cut them off is you have light colored paint on the boat. mine are not cut off but lack about 4 inches from being over the transom and i just hate it cause all it does is leave a mess on the paint every trip to the lake..for what its worth man leave them alone..besides that if it doesnt work like you planed and you have to put them back on your gonna have a big ugly weld sticking out like a sore thumb! oh yea go price a new set of bassett headers b/4 you cut!!! :jawdrop:

Before doing any cutting if I were you, I'd do some research on Header design ... How the lengths and sizes of the primary tubes (which your not proposing to cut) and collectors effect motor performance. On a NA Motor cutting the collectors back will change the back pressure on your valves and therefore the amount of scavaging which occurs between cylinders ... May not really be that much of an issue in your case, but, I'd check it out just as a matter of principal before cutting them any length.
    Note that NA Header Design is a subject unto itself and can be rather involved in terms of matching headers to a particular motor and its cam profile, combustion chamber size, etc., but, a cursory look at the principals involved may save you some heart ache in the end ... At least you'll know potentially what your getting yourself into.
    Just a thought.
    That's what I was thinking (but with smaller, easier to understand/spell words) very eloquent Jak. I cut off my last set of Bassetts (just beyond the tag). Although I didn't seem to suffer any ill affects from a running/performance standpoint (it may be more noticeable to someone with more horsepower though), it does have a tendency of messing up the back end of the boat. It's not even so much the oil/smoke as it is all the mineral deposits etc. Pain in the arse to clean every time.

Taylorman
    I cut mine a while back flush with the transom. It gets water spots on transom but they are not to hard to clean. I would cut the so they extend over the transom the same distance, not the same distance from the heads.
    Before
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...61DCP_2744.JPG
    After
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...P_3939-med.jpg
    Thats the best pictures i have at the time.

Performance 19
    Call Paul on the tech line (714) 630-7999....might as well get it directly from Bassett, he will be glad to help. Super swamped right now, may have to leave a message, but he will call you back

Floored
    on drag cars we put some paint on collector and make a pass then cut at the point where the burned paint stopped. That was the proper length for that setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast