Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To Droop Or Snoot A Big Boat

PLACECRAFT20
    Well here we go again. The only reason I am starting this is I have never seen another boat like mine and I was hoping some of you California boys have. I have a 20' Placecraft daycruiser. Aproximately 500hp on motor and 675hp on the bottle. The boat runs 70 GPSED on the motor. I am looking for a little more. The boat has a set back pump, loader and rideplate. The shoe on the boat is an MPD. I was wanting to know which snoot you guys think would work best. The boat is probably 2500lbs with motor. Lets here what yall think for big non drag type boats. here is the picture.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center.../252PC4jpg.JPG
    Here is the back.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...21/252tabs.JPG
    Here is the motor setup(the top picture is when I first got it)
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...otor404jpg.JPG

Ken F
    PC-20,
    I went through about the same senerio with my 21' Omega open bow. Bout the same power & weight. The snoot picked up the top end about 6 mph, but it went along with some changes in set-up also.
    Heavy boats like a larger nozzle & impeller. The way Duane explained it was:
    "more water out the back, more weight forward".
    My suggestion would be call Duane and talk to him about it. He's set up quite a few boats now with the snoot, and can sure guide you through it.
    Who chromed your pump for you???? I've been looking for 4 months trying to find someplace to do it!
    Ken F

Duane HTP
    Placecraft 20, I would need quite a bit more information to help you determine which would work the best for you. Some boats like the Snoot, some don't. Same with the Droop Snoot. If you would give me a call at 316-794-8616 I have a bucket full of questions to ask that would help you pick the right product. Duane HTP
    It just takes too long for me to type out all of the stuff we need to talk about.

Dana Marine Products
    Call Ron at Placecraft, he's very knowledgable about his boats. He's probably set more than one up with a Droop Snoot.

Sleek26
    That's one mighty nice lookin ride Bubba!

PLACECRAFT20
    Thanks for all the advise and complements. Duane I will give you a call. I have already bought things from you and like your service. I wish I had the money to just bring you the boat and let you do the pump build up like you did for the boat on the snoot write up a year or so back.
    I got the pump chromed by Eagle Plating in Jacksonville Tx. It was along wait but well worth the effort. (I did mine in the winter.) The number is 903-589-0858. Thanks again Mitch

ChetCapoli
    PC-20,
    The snoot picked up the top end about 6 mph, but it went along with some changes in set-up also.
    Ken F
    yea.....alot of changes i'm sure. If memory serves though, didnt you end up with a droop in the end?? Man, between you and squirtcha i dont know whose worse with the snoot exageration.
    My suggestion would be to borrow a droop somewhere and fine tune your shoe setup since most if not all boats like yours seem to have a droop and not a snoot. Call mpd(write this down ) since your hardware came from there or even gary snow(sdba069) since he is close to you or even the guy who made the boat like mentioned. Otherwise, we probably will see the snoot on your boat and never really know what works and what doesn't....
    CHET

Taylorman
    yea.....alot of changes i'm sure. If memory serves though, didnt you end up with a droop in the end?? Man, between you and squirtcha i dont know whose worse with the snoot exageration.
    My suggestion would be to borrow a droop somewhere and fine tune your shoe setup since most if not all boats like yours seem to have a droop and not a snoot. Call mpd(write this down ) since your hardware came from there or even gary snow(sdba069) since he is close to you or even the guy who made the boat like mentioned. Otherwise, we probably will see the snoot on your boat and never really know what works and what doesn't....
    CHET
    Dude, you really need a life. Better yet, you need to get laid to vent some of your frustrations.
    FYI, im about to buy a straight snoot and im going to cheerlead. Just thought you should know so you can prepare to flame me.

TexasJet
    PLACECRAFT 20, My boat is the one Duane worked on about a year ago. At that time he tried the droop and found that the snoot got about 2 MPH more that the droop. This winter Garry Snow ( SDB-069 ) did some work on by boat. One of the things he did was to straighten and true-up the bottom running surface. During the testing after the bottom mods he pulled the snoot off and replaced it with a droop. He tested several different combinations of wedges and found that the droop gave him a net increase of 0 MPH. He put the snoot back on. He told me he was very supprised that the droop did not give my boat any performance gains. I am not making any generalizations about all boats, just my boat. The only thing I have learned for certain in the last two years in spending alot of money on my boat is that some things work and some don't but the one constant is it all costs alot of money. Best of luck to you. TJ

jdf
    hey tj garry told me about the hard left turn your can make see you at the shoot

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast