Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Towing With Big Rims/Rubberbands

Biglue
    The tires are properly rated, I forget exactly the rating is though. As far as a transmission goes, I had the dealer reprogram the brain in the truck to compensate for the wheel overall overall diameter difference. That also made it a little more comfortable. That should be done just to correct the speedometer.

Blown 472
    Dont foget your gold teeff.

Biglue
    No I don't have electric brakes. My truck is an 01 F150 supercrew. It's rated to tow 8000 lbs. My new boat and trailer have a combined weight of about 5800 to 6000 lbs. I just got it in January. I thought about getting into a bigger truck but it tows just fine. Uphills aren't liked by the truck while towing but other than that it's fine. I did some upgrades on it as far as brakes and bigger transmission fluid cooler. I'm still not completely sure if I will not need bigger truck. This summer when I tow across the desert will be the deciding event. I've towed my boat to Laughlin and Mead over the early spring and it did just fine. I'm just wondering if the heat will be that big a detrimental factor, you know.

Boatcop
    I would think that the really squat tires would heat up more towing across the desert, leading to potential failure.
    Anyone heard of something like this?

Biglue
    Good point. Although a 45 series tire is still fairly beefy. I'd like to know if anyone is towing a medium size boat around with a half ton truck. My boat is a Commander 26 signature. Is there anyone out there who is doing the same thing as I am? Like I said earlier I was thinking about a bigger truck but to drive a truck with that more capacity everyday these days would cripple your pocket with the gas prices. Know what I mean?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123