Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford 4.6 questions

Norseman
    I'm looking for feedback, good or bad on the Ford 4.6L engine. It's the one used in the new Crown Vics and Mustangs.
    I've found a 66 Ford Fairlane wagon I'm thinking about buying as a daily driver. It's got a 4.6L Ford in it out of a 2002 Crown Vic Interceptor. Engine and trans were swapped in as a unit out of a wrecked low mileage police car, car had about 35,000 miles. Brakes and suspension are supposed to be upgraded as well, big drums in the rear and oversize disks up front.. Car is painted up like a GT
    Is this a good engine?
    I'm looking for decent performance and a car I can put lots of miles on. I drive 800 - 1000 miles a week. :rollside:
    It would be nice to get 22mpg or better, but what I'm driving now doesn't get much more than that. 1998 Windstar 3.8L 190,000 miles..... :yuk:
    Any feedback is appreciated!!
    Thanks!!!!!!!

With my limited experence of these engines IMO they are reliable and will go 180-200K with proper maintainence. The std. 210 hp engine seems to have decent power to move a 4000+lb Lincoln Towncar and 4 people with luggage and have enough suds to haul us over Echo Summit [7200'] with some power to spare and still average 24+mpg overall. There is a problem with the composite intake manifolds and there was a silent recall on those engines. They will leak coolant from a couple of fitting nipples that crack letting the engine overheat. I believe the comp. manifolds were only used a few years in the mid 90s. Later engines use cast aluminum manifolds so your 2002 should be ok. Other than the width of the engine it would be an ideal swap into the 66 Fairlane. The engine compartment of the Fairlane barely has enough width to contain a FE thats only about 26-27" wide exhaust to exhaust. I'm very familar with the 66-67 Fairlanes as I have 2 of 'em, a 66 and a 67. What was done to the shock towers to allow that engine to fit or was a Mustang II front end installed?

SoCalKev
    good motor, it's fun. JUST don't race it over a long period of time in a day....
    I spun my serpintine belt and had to get it towed home.
    This was on the Cobra 4.6 32valve intech motor. :220v:

Norseman
    With my limited experence of these engines IMO they are reliable and will go 180-200K with proper maintainence. The std. 210 hp engine seems to have decent power to move a 4000+lb Lincoln Towncar and 4 people with luggage and have enough suds to haul us over Echo Summit [7200'] with some power to spare and still average 24+mpg overall. There is a problem with the composite intake manifolds and there was a silent recall on those engines. They will leak coolant from a couple of fitting nipples that crack letting the engine overheat. I believe the comp. manifolds were only used a few years in the mid 90s. Later engines use cast aluminum manifolds so your 2002 should be ok. Other than the width of the engine it would be an ideal swap into the 66 Fairlane. The engine compartment of the Fairlane barely has enough width to contain a FE thats only about 26-27" wide exhaust to exhaust. I'm very familar with the 66-67 Fairlanes as I have 2 of 'em, a 66 and a 67. What was done to the shock towers to allow that engine to fit or was a Mustang II front end installed?
    Sounds like the engine would work pretty well then. The engine was from a CV71 police car, and it was supposed to be swapped in with all the electronics. I'm not sure what was done to the shock towers, I have not seen the car yet. I will be going to look at it next week. Anything else I should look out for on the body or chassis??
    Thanks!!
    Bob

Norseman
    good motor, it's fun. JUST don't race it over a long period of time in a day....
    I spun my serpintine belt and had to get it towed home.
    This was on the Cobra 4.6 32valve intech motor. :220v:
    Thanks, most of my driving is highway, so I tend to keep up with traffic, not ususally race it.
    Besides I don't think there are too many guys with hot cars that would want to race an old guy in a station wagon!!
    Though I have supprised a number of Mustang, corvette and Z car owners when I had both the 65 and 67 plymouths. Especially when coming out of a tool booth
    It's really surprising how fast a 67 Sport Fury convertible can be when it has a worked 440 in it!!!!!
    Bob

FHI-prez
    The only trouble I had with my 4.6 was the damn COPs (that's coil on plug, not the fuzz) I replaced 4 of them 2 of which were the same cylinder only a couple of thousand miles apart. They seem to be hit or miss. Some people will say they've never had a problem with them, and some (like me) had all kinds of issues with them. There is 8 of them of course and they cost between $55-$65 a piece aftermarket. $80 + from Ferd. In my experience the ones I got from Advance auto parts were better than the ones from Autozone although the advance ones were like $13 more I think. Changing the plugs on that motor is a bitch too. The plugs are a good 4 1/2" or so down in the motor so it's pretty easy to get dirt and water down by the plug. So needless to say it's not a great idea to wash the motor in that area. And you have to take care to remove any of this crap before you pull the plug so you don't get that crap down in the cylinder. Other than those relatively small issues I didn't have any problems with that motor. It did seem to be pretty low on torque at low rpms, but ran pretty good above 3k rpm, and pulled very well above 4k. I suppose my biggest concern would be if ALL the electronics (computer, sensors, etc.) were brought over correctly with the installation. It could run great but the gas mileage could be absolute shyte if some sensors were eliminated. Just what I've heard, never swapped one.
    Good luck,
    Nick

Bob, The only issue with the Fairlane is the unibody construction. Under heavy throttle with decent hp the body will twist without frame connectors. My 67 has a 427 Med. Riser and the body is showing signs of flex. The driver door is mis-aligned and the area at the C pillar is starting to crack. Do you have any pics of the car?

steelcomp
    I've found a 66 Ford Fairlane wagon I'm thinking about buying as a daily driver. It's got a 4.6L Ford in it out of a 2002 Crown Vic Interceptor.
    If I'm not mistaken, isn't that the DOHC 32 valve motor? 300 hp in the cruisers and police cars?

SoCalKev
    If I'm not mistaken, isn't that the DOHC 32 valve motor? 300 hp in the cruisers and police cars?
    I thought it was 260 hp but 32 valves indeed.

Norseman
    I didn't think it was that high maybe 250 - 260hp. But yes it's the motor out of the police cars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast