Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 300X dies without warning

F26
    i have a twin 300X setup and while running today the port side will die all of a sudden without warning and no alarm, then start right back up at times or it may take a sec like it is flooded.
    A couple of times it dropped rpm to 0 and came right back up to rpm on its on while running like you quickly turned the key of and on. sometimes it will give an alarm beep but the smartcraft never read anything. I changed the fuel filter but no difference. Rpm doesnt seem to matter but it hasnt done it at idle.
    The powerhead was off last weekend and it wasnt doing it before.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TOBTEK
    i have a twin 300X setup and while running today the port side will die all of a sudden without warning and no alarm, then start right back up at times or it may take a sec like it is flooded.
    A couple of times it dropped rpm to 0 and came right back up to rpm on its on while running like you quickly turned the key of and on. sometimes it will give an alarm beep but the smartcraft never read anything. I changed the fuel filter but no difference. Rpm doesnt seem to matter but it hasnt done it at idle.
    The powerhead was off last weekend and it wasnt doing it before.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    SOUNDS exactly like what mine did after the new powerhead last yr. Mine turned out to be the reeds. came loose and lost a few pedel's. it acted like it was flooded as well.

Screaming Pete
    check the plugs if you have 1 or 2 that a darker or wet, that would be reeds. I went thru 3 set 1 year, Merc said I was slapping the pedal to much comming off of high rpm but i think they had bad reeds, but no problems in the last 1 1/2

Charley
    I dont want to be disrespectful, so if I come across that way I apologize in advance, but does it seem to anyone else that the 300x is not the ultra reliable 2 stroke alternative? I have heard of (Seems like anyway)tons of issues with these motors

mbrown2
    I dont want to be disrespectful, so if I come across that way I apologize in advance, but does it seem to anyone else that the 300x is not the ultra reliable 2 stroke alternative? I have heard of (Seems like anyway)tons of issues with these motors
    What do you consider tons? cause I have heard and witnessed tons to the power of 2 for i/o hi-po motor problems and witnessed several this weekend....but I also heard of an outboard issue as well this weekend...My feeling after living with both is anything that runs 6000 Rpms all day, 100mph, and whether it is in the boat or on the back is gonna break....I don't believe in Turn Key anymore after having blown i/o and hi-po outboards...

cougarcat
    We've got a 2005 26' Daytona rigged with '05 300X's and heading towards JAX on the St. Johns river we lost the port engine. 4000 rpm's no/little load, no alarm, no noise, just died. Crank in pieces. Fired up the starboard engine and limped it to a marina. New powerhead on the way from Merc warranty. I would agree with mbrown2.....this thing gps's at 112 and for that kind of speed nothing is going to be turn-key all the time. F26-- Best of luck with your 300X's. They are awesome engines.

Screaming Pete
    Charley I know what you mean,sence i'm out of warenty i feel like i'm driving a hand gernade, i went thru reeds,reeds, reeds, a lower end, seals and last year at the end of the season it ran iffy at best, ran it a couple of weekends ago and it ran bitch'n go figure, now watch me trade in the mach 22 for a 26 with twim wackers when i should find one with a hp500

Kilrtoy
    Ok a little help guys..
    WHAT ARE REEDS.......and how much to replace or fix.....

Sherpa
    reeds in a 2 stroke are the equivilant to a valve for a 4 stroke..... compression keeps the reeds closed on compression stroke, and on intake
    stroke the reeds flex inward to allow fuel/air to flow into the motor.....
    I have no clue how hard reeds would be to change on an outboard, but on
    motorcycles, gokart motors, etc, they're fairly easy.... remove carbs/FI, and
    the reeds are directly below (they are part of the intake manifold) per-se.....
    --Sherpa

Charley
    What do you consider tons? cause I have heard and witnessed tons to the power of 2 for i/o hi-po motor problems and witnessed several this weekend....but I also heard of an outboard issue as well this weekend...My feeling after living with both is anything that runs 6000 Rpms all day, 100mph, and whether it is in the boat or on the back is gonna break....I don't believe in Turn Key anymore after having blown i/o and hi-po outboards...
    Ok, i'm not ragging or comparing it to inboard power.. it just seems to me the 300x has had alot more issues than I have seen from the 280 and even the 300 non X ...... Im not saying it's a lemon at all just seems like it's less reliable than it's counter parts, then again it could just "seem" that way to me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast