Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power Wire question

Procraftkev
    There going to get hot not enough air flow!

Force26
    will cooling fans help?

ROZ
    Mike
    Miguel Alonso?

Beer-30
    I've been considering fans, since mine are behind a seat, enclosed.
    Maybe I am crazy, but I would think I would need (as would anyone) to make sure there is an intake and exhaust for the fan to work at all. Just spinning the hot air around is not going to do much if anything at all, right?
    It would need to be treated just like the engine compartment. Intake vent(s) and exhaust(s) with the blower.

ROZ
    There going to get hot not enough air flow!
    100% correct. I would definitely not reccomend putting them into the engine compartment, fans or not... It's going to get really humid in there, and you'll freak everytime the hatch is open and someone is trying to put things into or pull things out of the under hatch storage. Just not a good idea.
    IF you must, definitely figure out a way to seal them from the engine compartment. Install fans in a push/pull mechanism veting from bottom on one side and venting out the side of the other.. Also make sure you make the cover easily removeable, otherwise it will be a pain in the ass to service the amps.
    Since the amps are so close to the batteries, you could go with a 2 perko system and run 3 fused 4ga powercables from the common on the perko to power the amps. You're going to have to use 3 4ga ground to a dist block then run a 2ga cable from there to your grounding point.
    Fans! Fans! Fans!

ROZ
    I've been considering fans, since mine are behind a seat, enclosed.
    Maybe I am crazy, but I would think I would need (as would anyone) to make sure there is an intake and exhaust for the fan to work at all. Just spinning the hot air around is not going to do much if anything at all, right?
    It would need to be treated just like the engine compartment. Intake vent(s) and exhaust(s) with the blower.
    Yes and no... The object is to move air over the amp's to help dissipate the heat off the amps heatsinks. Even if the air is hot, as long as it's movice the air off the heatsinks, the job is being done...
    The problem with the blowers is they can be somewhat noisey.. It would work very well, though!

Force26
    should the fans be mounted above the amps with the air being blown into the heatsinks. I think I can direct air flow into the compartment, It actually is not the engine compartment, it is between the engine compartment wall and the rear seat.
    Thanx

ROZ
    From bottom to top or from side to side will both work well... You can even put 2 fans on one side and have just exhaust vents on the other... You'll move a lot of air that way....

WaTchTheGelCoat
    Quick question, what are you running for power supply??

Phat Matt
    Can't wait to hear the new system. I will be running the same amp set up in my new boat.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast