Thread: Jacuzzi 12WJ Input Shaft

JEThro
    The shaft in this pump is strange.(At least to me) It doesn't have splines where the h-bar goes on. Instead it mounts like a harmonic balancer would. It has a big bolt that goes thru the coupling and into the center of the shaft,a keyway and a set screw that goes thru the side of the coupling and into the shaft. Is this normal for a 12WJ or do I have something off the wall?

CARLSON-JET
    my seloc manual shows splines .. on both jacuzzis being stock.

dave186
    mine has splines

Jethro, either call Jim Lee or Jack about that pump. When he did the write-up on getting it rebuilt he also discovered there were some differences between it and other WJ's.

malcolm
    Yeah, I remember Jim's pump being a strange one (for a WJ) with a non-splined input shaft and an ultra rare 4 blade impeller.

BrendellaJet
    I remember his write up. Sounds like your pump is an early one. I recall Jims Impeller was a little different too. Also, the outlet on your pump has probably been choked down real bad. When Jacuzzi cast the bowls, they cast them too small. As I recall reading, they were able to open them up some, but they opened them up too much. They came up with a fix, but screwed that up too. Luckily the fix is adjustable and uses different sized spacers...I tried Accessing Jims page and it looks like its no longer online.

wsuwrhr
    The shaft in this pump is strange.(At least to me) It doesn't have splines where the h-bar goes on. Instead it mounts like a harmonic balancer would. It has a big bolt that goes thru the coupling and into the center of the shaft,a keyway and a set screw that goes thru the side of the coupling and into the shaft. Is this normal for a 12WJ or do I have something off the wall?
    I'm trying to figure out if there is a problem, or are you just wondering what you have?
    Normal WJ's, at least what I have, and what I have seen, are splined shafts with a splined coupling, similar to what is on the rearend of a car.
    If you are wanting a splined shaft and coupling, depending on what the shaft looks like, you can have the shaft splined for about 100-150 bucks.
    If I remember right, the shaft is 1-3/8 diameter, but I would have to measure to be sure.
    Brian

JEThro
    I'm not having any problems. I was just curious. The pump works great but I have yet to run it with a GPS. It pulls good and maxes out at 4400rpm. Jim said at that RPM it should be doing a little over 60mph.
    2nd to last notch on diverter.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...66Folsom_1.jpg

wsuwrhr
    I'm not having any problems. I was just curious. The pump works great but I have yet to run it with a GPS. It pulls good and maxes out at 4400rpm. Jim said at that RPM it should be doing a little over 60mph.
    10-4.
    I didn't know if you were looking for ideas if your coupler was bad or what.
    I have a portly layup Anthony. With an A impeller, I run mine at 5000rpms,
    53MPH on GPS.
    Brian

jim lee
    Hello everyone..
    Jethro HAS my old pump. In fact the entire boat. (Spit-n-Bailingwire) I been offline for a while so maybe this is well known by now?
    The shaft on that thing is odd. Its done with a key. The bolt in the end holds the fender washer that holds the key from falling out. The yoke actually floats back and forth on the shaft to give some wiggle room for hull flexing etc.
    That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
    -jim lee