Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best all around small jet boat

LOWRIVER2
    Was working on a friends boat today and was thinking about all the different jet boats out there. Which one of the under 20ft. boats that I've seen is the best all around (price, performance, reliability). My choice is Wrightnow's 18ft. Calif. Performance. I've watched him tow his kids on inner tubes for two summers and then run the boat in the low 90's at night without changing a damn thing. The boat has a nice interior and the whole set up cost less than $20K! I doubt many folks could get the use he gets from his boat for that kind of price range. Yeah, some of the big motor/race set ups might be faster at night, but they can't run all day with the family in them and their motors cost more than his whole set up. Oh, no major repairs either.
    WN, Wild Bill, Don and I all agree you have the best all around ski/river racer around. Hats off to ya. Just put it on the trailer at night from now on! J/K
    LR
    Anyone else have stories of good all around small jet boat packages?

77charger
    I havent seen his boat yet but mike c has a pretty good set up runs hard(has good mph too) all day and on pump gas.

froggystyle
    That CP is my fav. I fall more into the middle ground, but consider my boat a success for my purposes.

1quickjet
    19' Daytona. A little better in chop than a CP. A little safer (some gullwings have been known to hook). But, lower freeboard and less interior room http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif In early 80's our 19' Daytona pulled skiers by day, ran 108mph at the drags. Mean 468 (only), tunnel rammed, pair o' dominators, Moroso race fuel, full 700 lb ski layup.

LOWRIVER2
    Great to see the good success stories guys have with the smaller performance boats. I get tired hearing how they're ALL high maintenance and deliver little reliability. There are a lot of ways to make the small ones fast, dependable and affordable.
    Froggy, you have covered all corners with your ride. I can appreciate a little less top end for more interior space for sure. There are a lot of good examples of fast, reliable sub 20ft. boats out there and I think they get lost and forgotten or are thought to be urban legends.
    The CP tunnel will hook for sure in a power out (designed for race course only), the CP gull wings are a lot safer.

LOWRIVER2
    Quickjet,
    that's fast for a 700lb hull! WN's is a 461 I believe. You can do a lot with a little in these two examples.

eliminatya
    lowriver cp's are bad boats, but i love those edges

LOWRIVER2
    Heck, Edges are indeed cool, Papp's new one is no slouch, a bit higher than 20K though. There are a lot of good hulls to go quick in.

future boater
    i would have to agree hands down! that boat is everything i like about a boat. i like how he chose the colors too. talk about white out package! the only thing i find hard to beleive ist that it only cost 20k. if thats true i will just save up for another year and pay cash. alright maybe 18 months, but still that is a beautiful boat.wrightnow you did a great job.how did you accomplish that is that brand new from cp?
    p.s. i just realised that question could be perceived as nosy<---sp?. if you dont want to answer, please accept my appologies.
    [This message has been edited by future boater (edited June 06, 2002).]

djdplacecraft
    i have to say those cp's are nice hulls my buddy runs a texas tunnel that is a light lay up 390 lbs and it rides nice he also has a youngblood that is about 6-700 lbs and they both ride better than my 19 ft placecraft tunnel.They arent as stable at high speeds but they dont porpus and beat u to death eitherat low speeds.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast