Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: engine tool questions

steelcomp
    Bring a six pack to your local head repair shop and ask them to install the springs and set them up. It worked for me and a lot less expensive then spending $600 on a tool you are only going to possibly use once. Just my .02
    Barry
    Probably good advice for some, but first, I wouldn't trust just any machine shop to assemble anything of mine, sepecially heads, and second, if they're worth a damn, it won't be cheap. Anyone can throw a set of heads together, but to properly assemble a set, knowing spring installed press. and installed height, stem seals on right (or at all), springs right side up, properly crushed before checking, clean, etc, is all important. Do a few sets of your own, and you've paid for a good compressor. Or not. That's one of those "buy once, cry once" tools that are worth their weight.
    Damn...after all that, I'm thinkin I need to step up!! :idea: See what you got mew into JCRebel!!

Jet City
    Probably good advice for some, but first, I wouldn't trust just any machine shop to assemble anything of mine, sepecially heads, and second, if they're worth a damn, it won't be cheap. Anyone can throw a set of heads together, but to properly assemble a set, knowing spring installed press. and installed height, stem seals on right (or at all), springs right side up, properly crushed before checking, clean, etc, is all important. Do a few sets of your own, and you've paid for a good compressor. Or not. That's one of those "buy once, cry once" tools that are worth their weight.
    Damn...after all that, I'm thinkin I need to step up!! :idea: See what you got mew into JCRebel!!
    Yep, the guy I bought the boat from had a reputable shop build this BBC, well they left about .015 retainer to seal clearance (based on the cam THEY installed), my new PC seal cutter just arrived today so I can correct that problem. I prefer to do as much of my own work as possible, here in Seattle we have a 3 month boating season, my hobby isn't boating, it's wrenching!
    SC, I think you need to step-up too, sell me that crappy old Mac compressor. I got another cool tool today, Comp's crank socket (#4797), it has a knurled nut on it to hold a degree wheel, I haden't seen these before

GofastRacer
    A big 10/4 on that!..

steelcomp
    Yep, the guy I bought the boat from had a reputable shop build this BBC, well they left about .015 retainer to seal clearance (based on the cam THEY installed), my new PC seal cutter just arrived today so I can correct that problem. I prefer to do as much of my own work as possible, here in Seattle we have a 3 month boating season, my hobby isn't boating, it's wrenching!
    SC, I think you need to step-up too, sell me that crappy old Mac compressor. I got another cool tool today, Comp's crank socket (#4797), it has a knurled nut on it to hold a degree wheel, I haden't seen these before
    As much as I'd like to let it go your way, tools are something I rarely get rid of. Sorta like guns. Never sell your tools, or your guns! When you use that socket for degreeing, wrap some teflon tape or something around the crank before you slide it on, or it'll wobble around and frustrate you! Glad you got a handle on your retainer to guide issues. That one gets overlooked quite often by guys who don't do many "performance" heads. :coffeycup

GofastRacer
    I have one of those (not a Comp though) and it has a set screw that you snug up to the key and it don't move it's the shit!..

steelcomp
    I have one of those (not a Comp though) and it has a set screw that you snug up to the key and it don't move it's the shit!..
    That's a helluvanidea! Easy enough to do, too. There ya go! :coffeycup

Jet City
    The Comp has the set screw as well, just tried it out tonight, very cool unit.

victorfb
    that craftsman one works fine if your doing small engines (vw, ect.) but for the higher tensions and lrager heads i would go to your local NAPA store and order one of thier compressors. i think i paid about $125 for thier best one. it works awsome. easy to set and readjust if needed. doesnt flex and has a smooth action. its a strong unit and will last forever. useing the weaker, smaller compressors is scary. ever have one slip and shoot the retainers and spring? not good.

Jet City
    Thanks for the comments everyone, I ended up buying a used compressor off Ebay that is Identicle to GFR's Indestro, made by "Wilde Tool Co.", I liked the look of that design (looks rigid) and couldn't find anyone that offers them new.

GofastRacer
    Thanks for the comments everyone, I ended up buying a used compressor off Ebay that is Identicle to GFR's Indestro, made by "Wilde Tool Co.", I liked the look of that design (looks rigid) and couldn't find anyone that offers them new.
    It is the same one, can't beat it for a manual one!..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12