Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water Temps???

PE 316
    I picked-up a set of MOROSO "Water Outlet Restrictor Kit" for mine...
    In my BBC I run the "blue" (3/4" hole) restrictor and it keeps my temps in the 150-160 degree range...
    (without anything in the water outlet, it would run in the 110-120 degree range)
    The kit costs only about $5 - $6
    Here is a "link" to the information for this kit:
    Moroso "Water Outlet Restrictor Kit" (http://moroso.com/catalog/categorydi...?catcode=29018)
    Mike

wsuwrhr
    Running under 150 water temp runs the risk of cracking the exhaust seats.
    Water that cool is bad for the motor, and gives away combustion heat which is no good for power.
    Brian
    just my .02

BK
    I picked-up a set of MOROSO "Water Outlet Restrictor Kit" for mine...
    In my BBC I run the "blue" (3/4" hole) restrictor and it keeps my temps in the 150-160 degree range...
    (without anything in the water outlet, it would run in the 110-120 degree range)
    The kit costs only about $5 - $6
    Here is a "link" to the information for this kit:
    Moroso "Water Outlet Restrictor Kit" (http://moroso.com/catalog/categorydi...?catcode=29018)
    Mike
    I wouldnt think running a restrictor on your outlet would be a good idea for block pressure would it? I guess you could run a pressure relief valve along with that to control it?

HM
    I wouldnt think running a restrictor on your outlet would be a good idea for block pressure would it? I guess you could run a pressure relief valve along with that to control it?
    Restricting the water is a bad bad idea. A pressure relief valve is a good good idea whether or not you are restricting it.
    Besides....water temp does not represent what your motor is actually running at. I put an oil temp sender in the oil pan and found that while the water temp said 130, the oil temp was around 180. When I got on it, the oil temp would run up to 230!! (I was running a 750HP blown mouse) I ended up putting an oil cooler. We also ran the water through the heads first (supercharged application with the timing locked out at 38). I also put cylinder head temp gauges in and they ran 30 degrees higher than what the water guage said. Also, check the accuracy of your gauge(s).
    The colder water in boats is a huge advantage for high performance. You get away with more timing, more compression, more boost, and longer and harder runs on 91 octane which would melt down in a car application.
    The cooler the water you can run the better...but how cool is too cool? That is debateable and depends on your performance requirement. My builder was never woried about the low water temps, and he stands behind his work, and likes to build 800+ HP turn key Rat motors that get thousands of hours. If you are worried, put a thermostat kit in, but make sure you have good flow.
    If you choose to restrict, put in a pressure relief and run a water pressure gage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12