Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gel Coat or Paint

disco_charger
    The reason that the name is Disco Charger,is not that I have burning love for Andy Gibb,really, it's that the top cap of my boat is metal flake green. I'm thinking of painting the boat next winter. Probably 5 or six colors, no fades. Is paint the way to go or new gel coat? What's a good deal on either?
    Thanks
    Disco :Confused

ratso
    Gelcoat is the best way to go, but you better get someone who knows how to lay it down. I have also seen many awesome jobs done with paint, though not as durable as gelcoat. Bottom line. Do your homework. What area of the country are you from? You may want to check with Havasu Barney.

Johnwithjm
    Gelcoat is more durable by far but paint also works fine. Barney is doing some good work with gel you should talk to him.

disco_charger
    You guys know Barney's addy? I'm in the So Cal area, but can drag the damn thing out to Arizona if it's to go to a man who does good work....

Johnwithjm
    Barney- 928-505-8678 shop

superdave013
    Originally posted by disco_charger:
    You guys know Barney's addy? I'm in the So Cal area, but can drag the damn thing out to Arizona if it's to go to a man who does good work....
    Go to his site at http://www.havasubarney.com/
    He's almost done with my boat and is doing a kick ass job.

77charger
    go with the gel coat.

disco_charger
    Charger 77, not ot be nosey, but can you give me a ball park figure. I'm rolling on a budget and I don't want to waste the man's time.
    Disco

Kwicherbichen
    Disco, I just dropped off my boat last Thursday at Barney's. He is very reasonable. It would be too hard for us to quote prices because A) We don't work for him B) The price will depend on the amount of colors, line sizes, size of boat, and so on......
    He's a real nice guy and you won't be wasting any of his time by giving him a call.
    BTW, I went through this paint -vs- gel coat dilema. Gel is the best option for a boat. Even a good paint job will cost ya. Trust me I checked every possible avenue.
    Brian

I'm in swamp country (Lousy Anna), any gel coat folks here that posters may be aware of?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast