Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 455 to 454 conversion

tahiti tim
    i have a 74 taylor with an olds 455 and a spun rod bearing. i want to swap over to a 454 i have. my olds has a mount on each side of the front of the block. i can't tell where it connects in the rear. i have front and rear plates for the 454, logs and the 454's berkeley connection. do i need to use the front plate? what all is involved in this conversion?
    thanks

AZKC
    Sounds like the Olds i s mounted in whats called a 3 point mount. The Chevy stuff sounds like a 4 point. You'll either need whats called a rail kit or the mounts that bolt to the stringers for your plates. Of course this is all guess work without seeing exactly what you got. I'll grab some pics for ya in a bit.

AZKC
    Man I need to do some cleaning These are the stringer mounts
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...ctures0001.jpg
    For this style motor plate set up
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...ctures0002.jpg
    Sounds like you got all the other stuff you need, Good luck

1HOTGMCJET
    i have a 74 taylor with an olds 455 and a spun rod bearing. i want to swap over to a 454 i have. my olds has a mount on each side of the front of the block. i can't tell where it connects in the rear. i have front and rear plates for the 454, logs and the 454's berkeley connection. do i need to use the front plate? what all is involved in this conversion?
    thanks
    Based on what you're saying, I think AZ is right - you've currently got what we call a "3 point" mount: one mount ("point") on either side, similar to how it's mounted in a car and the third "point" is in the rear - the reason you can't "see how" it connects in the rear is that there is a bellhousing that clamps around your jets housing (this is the third "point" in your 3 point system) - your BBC stuff sounds like it's a 4 point, take a look at AZ's pics and that will show you how it looks - most Taylors had JE/JF type "insert pumps" which usually use a 3 point system (see mine below), so your best bet is to get a 3 point "short style" rear bellhousing for a BBC and either some cradle mounts or a front 4 point plate (which it sounds like you may already have) - drop me a PM, if you need one, I may have a short BBC bellhousing around here somewhere.......Good Luck!

tahiti tim
    az,
    yea after looking at mine again and your pics,i have a 3 point system in the boat and 4 point system for the bbc. if i got a bbc bellhousing, could i use the 3 point system in the boat?
    thanks
    tim

tahiti tim
    onehotgmcjet,
    i tried to pm you, but couldn't. i guess since i'm a newbie, they haven't turned my pm priveledge on yet. if i can use the bellhousing, would you sell it?
    you can email me at tim@parkwaymitsu.com if you'd like
    thanks for all the help. i've either got to drop in the bbc or put a crank kit in my olds
    tim

Moneypitt
    Your last post was scary. You CAN NOT use a down the road crank kit in that olds. Have your existing crank turned or find another Hardin Marine crank. A car motor crank will not live.........MP

Your last post was scary. You CAN NOT use a down the road crank kit in that olds. Have your existing crank turned or find another Hardin Marine crank. A car motor crank will not live.........MP
    ?
    Hardin Marine and, other engine suppliers, bought factory long blocks and mounted their marine stuff on them. If you were lucky and bought a chevy in your boat, it might have been a truck block and a 4 bolt main, With an olds, you got a factory olds crank. Hardin, Harman, Indmar and so on, do/did not touch the inside of the engines (for the masses). In fact one of the boat mags did an article years ago about what was 'supposed' to be inside the average marine engine and what really was. Mis-matched heads, different size pistons and bores, junk rods, were the tip of the iceberg. Mercruiser might have an advantage when it comes to the relationship it has with GM and getting good stuff, but the others are just engine re-sellers. Hardin was an Oldsmobile car dealer and branched out into the marine field back in the day.

tahiti tim
    Yea, Most Of The Insides I've Seen Were Nothing Special. I Think I'm Gonna Buy Onehotgmcjetboats Bellhousing And Drop It Back In Using The Point I Have In The Boat, Unless After Taking Maesurements The Mounts Won't Line Up. Thanks
    Tim

Liberator TJ1984
    You could mount 2 pieces of 3" aluminium angle to the stringers , drop in the 4pt. mounts with the motor and drive line that way you can space every thing out right ( able to slide motor on 3" angle ) , then make the bolt in tabs last :idea:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast