Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: help with header clearance!

What do you suggest?
    Call Bassett or Rewarder and find out what it will cost to make up a custom set that has more height. You might also inquire about the height difference of the "straight" style versus the "twisties" you have. The headers in my avatar are the "straight" style. They are definitely higher.
    Whatever you do, DO NOT start chopping the hull just to make those fit. Sell them and buy what will work.
    By the way, could you post a side shot from further away that gives a better overall view of engine/hull angle?

malcolm
    I went throught this last year with my Spectra. The rear deck was too high for a set of headers I bought from Ebay. They were old rusty Gils, so I cut the primaries and welded in 3 inch pieces to raise them up. It worked, sort of...... next time I'll go through transom. That would be my suggestion to you. :smile:

MudPumper
    Twisty headers sit lower than the others.

Crazy Squeeek
    Maybe a set of V-Drive headers will work. I'm not sure which way there angled, but there a little different being a V-Drive motor sits more on an angle then a jet. Call Bassett, maybe they will swap with you. SqK

Duane HTP
    Trade with someone who has a set of the older style Bassett's with the flared ends. They are taller.

tattoo
    I got the headers off e-bay used. Here is a shot before I raised the back of the motor 1/4".
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...99CIMG0012.JPG

It appears from the pic you might have vdrive headers which have a lower collector angle. Hard to tell from the pic though. If the collectors are pretty much parallel to the header flanges they are v-drives. It they have some noticable angle they are jet headers. Jets are about 3-4" higher at the end of the collectors when installed on the engine, twists or standards same scenario, doesn't matter.
    You can warm them up and put about a 6 foot bar in them and apply steady up pressure and probably bend the primary's to get 1 to 2 inches of increased height. Sounds hack I know. But I've seen Bassett align unmatched sets like this before and I've done it myself one time, no problem. Get em hot first though, easier to bend.
    But if you have v-drives sell em and get jet models.

wsuwrhr
    I got the headers off e-bay used. Here is a shot before I raised the back of the motor 1/4".
    Looks like you got a nice set. They looked brand new. Too bad they don't fit that well though. Maybe someone from the boards will buy them from you.
    Brian

tattoo
    When you heated them up, did they discolor or did the chrome peel? Waht about a stainless steel plate on the top of the transom below each header?

Zeug
    Tatoo,
    PM me about the headers. I might have some that will work.
    Kent

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast