Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Slow rollers + common courtesy

Sane Asylum
    Is that why you drove through the rocks?
    That's wrong...........Very funny, but wrong....Those whacka props are exxxxxxpensive..........But Overton's does have a sale on the plastic one's occasionally.....

Sweet Addiction
    I own a 23' Chap and never do or would do that. Just because I don't own a $100,000 + boat without a windshield doesn't mean I don't know how to drive or exercise common courtesy. If you had blamed it on a Bayliner I would have to agree
    I was getting ready to get furious about the whole Chaparral thing, but I understand there are aholes out there. I own a Chaparral, and even though its old and did not cost me much I treat it likes its worth 100k and I sure as hell try to be polite at the dock and when waiting, wait out in the channel away from the launch area. Only thing I am guilty of is tying to the dock and have to get the truck when I take the girlfriend out, but thats only because she can't drive the truck. just my 02.

Tom Brown
    I own a Chaparral...
    Ban him.

Sweet Addiction
    Ban him.

bigkatboat
    The same problems can be said for the channel. Some people 'get it, some don't. The dock areas and no wake zones have had such loose self interpretation of "NO WAKE" that people seem to go as fast as they please. This entire topic goes back (IMHO) to the loss of respect over the years. Back in the 60's and 70's, boaters (HOT and NOT) respected themselves and the others around them. Often the boat owner was also the mechanic, caterer, and detail guy. I too have had small (low) and large (high) freeboard boats. I too have yelled at people who abuse the water around their boat, "the vessel owner is responcable for his wake", THAT IS THE LAW! Also the boat operator is responcable for his own boat, passengers, and behavior, so please try to think about others, when boating near others. I feel that the channel is like a show, or a 'cruising spot', it's so busy that speeding and wakes are just stupid. As for the ramp areas, they are 'safety zones', if there were a REAL EMERGENCY, could all of the boats get out of the way? Keep the ramps/ docks clear as quickly as you can, (go in, drop people, get out) and observe what other boats are doing around you. Weekends are 'pontoon only' for us, because of the abundance of 'selfish boaters', and the lack of respect.

Tom Brown

Perhaps I over reacted a little.

Sweet Addiction
    Perhaps I over reacted a little.
    No offense taken.

Tom Brown
    No offense taken.

I own a Chaparral, and even though its old and did not cost me much...
    I hope it doesn't come down to wealth discrimination. My boat is extremely modest. It's approaching 30 years old and is only 16 feet long.
    I'd like to think that most boaters would be just as courteous to the guy putting the 12' aluminum boat on the top of his car as the arrogant Dennis Rodman impersonator power winching his 40' Cigarette onto his triaxial trailer.
    I hate to be on topic but I will mention that my engine will not idle down very well and stay running with a huge chopper prop. The boat is small and light so my slowest speed is 8~9 km/h.
    Our no wake zones are marked as 7 km/h and I've never been cited. I'm hoping that the small size and light weight of my boat will allow me to exceed the limit a wee bit because I don't push much of a wake at idle. If I am forced to obey the 7 km/h thing, I will be reduced to paddles so it'll take two people about an hour to get out of the 7 km/h zone after launch at the Grand Hotel in Kelowna.
    It's not something I feel good about but I try to be extra courteous and make sure I'm well clear of the bouys before making a wake so that I don't draw attention to myself.

mbrown2
    Sounds like a lot of bitter boating up in Havasu....

Havasu_Dreamin
    I hate to be on topic but I will mention that my engine will not idle down very well and stay running with a huge chopper prop. The boat is small and light so my slowest speed is 8~9 km/h.
    I think most peole are ok with and understand that some boats imply will go a little faster than otehrs at idle. It's the idiot cruising in at obviously above idle speed that people are talking about.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast