Thread: loaders $ inducers

genzorg
    I wonder if someone could give me some input?..I run a 20 ft riverboat with a 16 degree v and a stepped hull,my trouble is I get excessive cavitation in a tight turn,I was wondering if a loader grate or inducer impeller might help stop the cavitation,and also how do you install these? would I need a new shaft to install the inducer,and what style or size of loader grate would be sufficient...by the way I have a mpfi 454 rated at 385hp,and american turbine sd309 pump...thanks for any help.

Caribbean19'
    I do not know if your trouble is with the shape of your hull blocking the path of the water to your intake or not. I did have an inducer installed when I had the jet blue printed a few weeks back even though I had never had any cavitation problems prior to the pump work. I was simply interested in improving things. When I took the boat out for the first time since the work was done I noticed a big improvement in the response of the pump, which I think is mostly due to the inducer. My pump was in very good shape in spite of 10 years of heavy use, so I do not think the improvement was as much the blueprint as it was the inducer. When I cranked the wheel over for some sharp turns and put my foot into it, the boat really hooked up and went. Hole shot was also improved. My hull however is a very shallow vee, and sounds different than yours. I did not have to use a new shaft to accomodate the inducer. My set up is a stock 454 BBC, Berkely Jet, A imp., 19' Caribbean. I would call Jack McClure at:
    Marine Performance Designs
    1760 Monrovia St. Unit A-7
    Costa Mesa, Ca. 92627
    949-631-2040
    Hope this helps!
    [This message has been edited by Caribbean19' (edited April 16, 2001).]

Jeff
    Genzorg:
    You might want to contact Don Bowers he is the inventor of the inducer. He can machine your shaft to accept this mod. His e-mail is don@donspumpservice.com* I know what you are referring to, I have a 18 deg V-bottom. What I do in a tight turn is put my divertor all the way down to prevent the pump from blowing out. I also run a loader grate which will help some, this will be your cheapest mod to try first.
    Good Luck, Let Us Know Your Out Come
    Jeff

ChetCapoli
    I would also go with a ramp grate,it's well worth the 70bucks and makes a hell of an improvement. Four bolts and 10 minutes and it's done. As far as the inducer, i wouldnt'waste the money or the time. You pretty much have a stock boat anyways so you wouldnt notice a difference. The inducer is really a last resort if you have a blueprinted pump/big HP and you still have cavitation. If your pump is tight that's all that matters. Start with the little stuff first. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Slow Boat 001
    Originally posted by ChetCapoli:
    I would also go with a ramp grate,it's well worth the 70bucks and makes a hell of an improvement. Four bolts and 10 minutes and it's done. As far as the inducer, i wouldnt'waste the money or the time. You pretty much have a stock boat anyways so you wouldnt notice a difference. The inducer is really a last resort if you have a blueprinted pump/big HP and you still have cavitation. If your pump is tight that's all that matters. Start with the little stuff first. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
    Use one that is V cut it will work best with a V bottom boat.And yes this will Help you !!