Thread: Oil system for my 455 olds

Q-ball
    I just bought a 7qt. Mildon pan from a guy, my question is do I have to run the $80.00 Mildon HV pump, or will thier 7qt pickup tube they sell bolt onto my HV pump I'm already using. I'm not sure what brand it is, but it's practicly brand new. Thanks

DEL51
    Usually marine engines have a ten quart pan.Olds engines are noted for oil starvation problems cause they tend to pump alot of oil to the top of the engine and it does not drain back to the pan fast enough.You need to talk to an experienced olds performance person that has marne application experience.Look in a car mag for mondelo performance and give them a call.

cyclone
    i just did all the Mondello Oil system mods on my motor and if you havent done them, i wouldn't put a HV pump in there. That will just worsen the problem by pumping even more oil up top. I would put a larger pan on until you can do the mods, but not a HV pump. Give paul or lynn and Mondello a call and they'll school ya.

Hallett19
    I would recomend NOT using the HV pump unless you have a bigger pan, I just went through the problem of puting a HV pump and a 7 quart stock pan and my 460ford and it lost 10 psi of oil pressure above 4000rpm's, go with a bigger pan or stay with a stock pump.

Q-ball
    Thanks guys!