Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Has Dual Tanks...

upsman105
    Ran Out Of Gas Last Week In One Tank...again...and With Efi I Could Not Get Pressure In The Other Tank To Get Going Again And Had To Be Towed In...am Contemplating Puttin In A Primer Bulb In The Fuel Line, Anybody Have Ideas????

Tom Brown
    Are the two tanks tied together or do you switch them?
    My fuel pump has no trouble re-priming itself when I run a tank dry. I run a Bosch automotive pump.
    Do you have a pressure bypass regulator or is the regulator built into the pump?

Jrocket
    Ran Out Of Gas Last Week In One Tank...again...and With Efi I Could Not Get Pressure In The Other Tank To Get Going Again And Had To Be Towed In...am Contemplating Puttin In A Primer Bulb In The Fuel Line, Anybody Have Ideas????
    What motor?

BADBLOWN572
    Mercury motors can be a pain in the ass if you run out of gas. The fuel pump doesn't prime itself. You need to have fuel in the fuel filter for the motor to start and then the fuel pump to take over. If you ever try to fire a Merc motor without fuel in the filter you are wasting your time.
    The only thing that I can think of to get you back up and running is to pull the fuel filter off (usually in a black case up next to the impeller and looks like an oil filter), use a flat head screwdriver to undo the fuel line and to suck on the line to get fuel from the full tank and fill up the filter. After that, put the fuel line back on and screw the full filter on. After that, the boat should fire. Just be real careful not to spill fuel in the bilge and make sure that it is well ventilated.
    I do not know if a primer bulb would work. I don't know if the Merc motors would allow the air to pass through so it could be like triyng to prime up against a blocked line. That would be a good question for a Mercury technician.

upsman105
    There Is A Manual Switch, 6.2 With A Super.

all faded
    if im not mistaken, brett rigged the boat to run both tanks at the same time. is your fuel valve facing down?

upsman105
    When It Pulls On Both Tanks It Can't Pull Enough Fuel To Feed My Engine. Trust Me I Know. The Lever Has To Point To One Tank Or The Other.

phebus
    Mercury motors can be a pain in the ass if you run out of gas. The fuel pump doesn't prime itself. You need to have fuel in the fuel filter for the motor to start and then the fuel pump to take over. If you ever try to fire a Merc motor without fuel in the filter you are wasting your time.
    The only thing that I can think of to get you back up and running is to pull the fuel filter off (usually in a black case up next to the impeller and looks like an oil filter), use a flat head screwdriver to undo the fuel line and to suck on the line to get fuel from the full tank and fill up the filter. After that, put the fuel line back on and screw the full filter on. After that, the boat should fire. Just be real careful not to spill fuel in the bilge and make sure that it is well ventilated.
    I do not know if a primer bulb would work. I don't know if the Merc motors would allow the air to pass through so it could be like triyng to prime up against a blocked line. That would be a good question for a Mercury technician.
    How do they prime the motor the first time they fire it up when new?

upsman105
    Probably The Same Way I Did When I Got Home, Pull Fuel Line Off, Seperator, Blow Air Compressor Line Into Gas Tank Till Fuel Comes Out, Re Attach Line.

all faded
    we have the same boat, maybe the motor makes a difference i guess. Ive had no problems. are the tanks draining evenly and are they filled evenly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast