Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Has Dual Tanks...

upsman105
    I Put That Supercharger On.

BADBLOWN572
    How do they prime the motor the first time they fire it up when new?
    Pull off the fuel filter and pour gas into it from a gas can. Without it, there is no way for it to fire. With the fuel filter dry, if you are just cranking it over all you are doing is wasting the battery.

all faded
    If you call brett or pat tomorrow in the morning before they get busy on the coors light they can probably help you.

Beer-30
    That's weird. When I first bought mine, I was idling around and switched tanks to make sure all was good. Idled a little more and then it stubled and died. I switched back and fired it up, giving it some throttle to let it pump some fuel through. All was fine. Next time, I switched tanks while underway. Not full throttle, though. Works fine.
    I haven't emptied a tank underway yet. Don't plan on it. At the first stumble, though I'd get the switch thrown.
    496HO, EddieMarine electic valve.

surfer2001
    Ran Out Of Gas Last Week In One Tank...again...and With Efi I Could Not Get Pressure In The Other Tank To Get Going Again And Had To Be Towed In...am Contemplating Puttin In A Primer Bulb In The Fuel Line, Anybody Have Ideas????
    Why run one completely dry? How about switching between 1 & 2 every so often to keep the tanks relatively equal. Surely you can’t use up both tanks in one day.

Beer-30
    Why run one completely dry? How about switching between 1 & 2 every so often to keep the tanks relatively equal. Surely you can’t use up both tanks in one day.
    There's different thoughts on this one, for sure. I have ran dual-tank pickups for years. Was taught by a very savvy individual to run a tank dry when you can. Theory is that you pull any bits of water and any scraps of old fuel remaining. Then it always gets filled with fresh. No contamination of old fuel. Sure, there will always be a little, and you can't pull all of the silt out, but it is a good point.
    Then again, it doesn't seem right to completely empty a tank.
    As I get a feel for the tanks, I will be trying to get as close to emptying as possible without draining the FI system.

jackpunx
    I have only ran one tank dry.. On accident though.. My fuel gauge got stuck..
    Just make sure that if your low.. don’t let it burp while your at WOT... you will lean the motor out..
    Don’t want to do that..
    when Im not sure .. I always got my eye on the fuel pressure gauge..
    I run one tank down to half.. then switch.. my boat is very weight sensitive anyway..
    and it only really takes a fast ride from dam to dam in parker to go through almost a half of one tank for me..
    I also run a water separator for my fuel system..
    That gets cleaned at least every25 hrs

upsman105
    didn't run dry on purpose, wife was driving, can barely get her to drive so did not want to worry her with all the gauges...of course the botton line is it was my faul I should have paid more attention.

Beer-30
    Running any tank dry is a BAD idea period. In the case of a blower motor as soon as the cylinder fires on only air (lean condition) you've just wasted the motor. Also, unless the tanks feed from the bottom you won't be getting the last drop as there is usually fuel in the bottom of the tank that's "unusable". This is done on purpose so as not to suck up all the crud into the motor. If you run on just one tank til it's nearlt dry it will throw the center of balance off. The best way is what was stated above and that's to alternate tanks at a set interval each. That's how we keep an aircraft trimmed and in balance with 2,4,or even 6 tanks.
    Rio
    You're right about all. Especially the blown motor bit. I don't worry too much, cause I wouldn't be pushing a light tank a full throttle. If I chose to run it out, I would just be cruising and catch the first stumble. And yeah, you're never gonna pull all of it out.
    Could just run them :30 at a time.! Like I do on this:
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center.../2433small.jpg

RidinRed
    Yes you should be switching taks as you go. personally, I switch about every Qtr. tank for balance. I respectfully disagree, in our 25 Rage I have run 1 to sputter switched and came in with the other on fumes twice after long trips.
    Sounds like a small container should be carried though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast