Thread: Motorcraft Oil

Hallett19
    Has anyone used Motorcraft oil ? I decided to go to my poorly stocked local autozone where they let me dump my oil (the well stocked autozone doesnt allow dumping) So I go to buy my Valvoline and they have 3 quarts, plus my leftover one at home makes me one short for the oil change in my tow vehicle (97 Exploder V8) So I get the motorcraft oil. Yesterday I go to change my oil and I open up the bottle...... :supp: the odor reminded me of when my brother blew the motor on his mustang, burned ass oil.... smelled so bad like burned rubber and oil all in one, I was scared to even put it in the car. I opened my single leftover bottle of valvoline and it smells nice and is really clear, the motorcraft oil was dark brown and gross. What is wrong with this crap ? I will change this oil out later this week and never buy that garbage again, makes me think my motorcraft filter is probably garbage second hand parts too. I think valvoline and wix from napa are going to be my constant used items, even though its a 10 min drive each way :redface:
    Thanks for any input !

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    I gotta say you are the first person I have heard of that smells his motor oil.......I guess if scent is a form of judging oil you made the right choice :hammer2: otherwise all dino oil seems about the same to me. synthetics on the other hand.........
    I'll keep that in mind next time I go to buy some oil. I guess I need to smell it and check what color it is......lol. Thanks for the laugh dude!!
    Omega

Hallett19
    arent you always supposed to smell things before you stick it in OBJ ???

Jet City
    I think Conoco-Phillips supplies the Motorcraft oils. I seem to recall that oil didn't do too bad on the UOA's (used oil analysis), I'd run it until your next scheduled change and don't sweat the smell or appearance. Check out bobistheoilguy.com for more details.

nova
    I have some good info for you on the oil. I work for a company that builds metrology labs (inspection labs). customers like ford, chrysler,gm, mercruiser, cat, john deere you get the idea. We worked for a company just north of us that is the company that actually approves the grades of the oil for the industry. I can't say who. But at lunch one day I asked the lab manager what is the best petro type oil on the market. He told me he could not answer the question. However, If I refraise??? So I asked, what does he used when he changes his oil. He quickly said Valvoline. He said most will meet a standard. Valvoline exceeds the standards... This was a cool place to see. They actually run motors, drain the oil and run the shit out of them until they crap out...They had at the time over 20 test cells, Extreem cold, hot, rain you name it......I have used Valvoline since.... :eat: