Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 455olds

wet and wild
    I am just getting into building my first 455 and what iam hearing by all the feed back is very bad,please if you would, guide me in the right direction.I have a 455 boring out 0.030 over with 10:1 comp/comp3 cam,was told to go with750cfm carb,Can i still run with my stock parts,such as oil pump,gas pump,etc.This boat is a ski boat just being rebuilt and possable more in a diffrent haul.What can i do without to much more money,I am going trough Guy at balboa auto parts to help ,what next, please help before i regret any bad decisions,Please help,just a person trying to get his boat running in good shape for summer.The kids are saying,Dad hurry up!.Help.Block is in shop and parts are ready to machine.Stage 3 cam.
    [This message has been edited by wet and wild (edited April 09, 2002).]
    [This message has been edited by wet and wild (edited April 09, 2002).]

bobz
    go to mondellotrister.com (i think) they have lots of info for your olds motor. not sure what the power band for that cam is but the lower the better. olds motor make lots of torque so you dont have to turn them real fast. as for the cheap fixes buy the oil restrictors or turn your cam bering upside down and redrill them smaller cant remember the size i dont drag race anymore. its been about 15 years since i put the olds together. i can tell you make sure you have a big oil pan at the very least and buy a mellon pump with a milodon pickup bolt on that is. mondello buys these parts and resells them at about 2x's the price they are the same parts. if you are willing to do some of the work yourself buy a 68 tornado block or look for any block that say FO F1 F2 on the back with a set of C heads, these are the best blocks and have the highest nickle content with the thickest bore material can go 125 over without sonic testing 99% of the time. as for the cam if the power range is to high you can advance the cam 4 degreees and change the power curve by about 500 rpm lower. there are so many tricks that you can do yourself with out spending to much. olds rods are forged from the factory and look for the side oiler holes in the older engines and then you can side polish the beam on the sides and install arp rod bolt. these rods are good to 6500 rpm with out a problem. if you have these rods you must notch the rod bering to match the hole in the rod cap. childs and alberts use to make berings for these rods if you can finds them. the hardest thing to find is a steel crank 400943 almost impossable to find. the next best thing is a cast crank with a big N on the front. these are very good cranks up to 6000 to 6200 rpm. when you buy your new pushrods get the ones that restrick the oil. as for the C heads grind the hump out of the exaust port in the top they will flow alot better then bring the center flange in the head out flush with the rest of the head. the olds engine can run with the fords and chevy. the parts are harder to find if you dont know where to look. well if you need some more help let me know.

Kwicherbichen
    Give Walt a call. He's in Calif and he knows his shit about Olds. It's my understanding he has helped make a few of them really fly.
    Walt's HB Service
    930 N. Carpenter Rd. #D
    Modesto, CA 95351
    (209)521-WALT Fax#(209)521-7088
    http://www.netfeed.com/~waltshbs/
    [This message has been edited by Kwicherbichen (edited April 09, 2002).]

spectra75
    I'm with bobz on this. Call Mondello Performance Products Inc. in Paso Robles, CA. Mondello is known as Dr. Oldsmobile. Very helpfull and has any part you'll need. Keep her under 5000 RPM and she'll be fine. Jets love torque and the Olds has plenty. It's also nice to have something different in the well besides the usual Chevy or Ford.
    spectra75

cyclone
    Depending on your cam specs, I would go with an 850cfm Holley double pumper. That's what I ran on my olds last year and it worked great. A Holley mechanical fuel pump will work fine in your application as well. Unless you are going to do all of the Mondello oil restriction mods, Don't install a high volume oil pump. Doing so only worsens the problem of oil staying up top and not draining back into the pan. At the very least, I would install a 10 quart oil pan and standard oil pump. But doing the Mondello oil mods will make your motor last. Since doing them to my motor, I've had excellent oil pressure and no problems with oil staying in the top of the motor.

JEThro
    Make sure your timing plate and water inlet plate are in good shape. Any major corrosion around the water inlets and you will get water in the oil. Most people don't even think about it and start changing head gaskets or go hunting for cracks or warpage.

Licketty Split
    Oldsmobubbles forever dude.....I have two and a ton of spare performance parts. Restrict it and run a high volume pump NOT a high pressure 50 to 60 psi max or you'll lunch the distributer I just found out I have to rebuild my bottom end ;(
    Hang in there... we'll toast those Fords and Chevy's

cyclone
    oh yeah, mondello sells an upgraded distributor shaft that will handle extreme oil pressues. mines making 75-90psi and I've had no problems with the mondello shaft.

Licketty Split

Chestah Cheetah
    W&W, I have some parts for a 455 if you need: exhaust manifolds w/risers, 12qt pan, chrome valve covers, velocity stack, front & rear mounts.
    [This message has been edited by Chestah Cheetah (edited April 09, 2002).]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast