Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lake Tahoe Boating???

rivercrazy
    Anyone have a lot of experience taking a boating vacation there? Looking for some feedback (i.e. best month to go, places to visit, restuarants, boating experience, etc)

RiverToysJas
    Very Cold water, that's what I've heard.
    RTJas

rivercrazy
    I've heard the water can be colder there than what comes out right below Hoover Dam. And that is REALLY cold...
    But mid summer around the outsides of portions of the lake it can be 70.

supercrewjohn5x
    Anyone have a lot of experience taking a boating vacation there? Looking for some feedback (i.e. best month to go, places to visit, restuarants, boating experience, etc)
    We go up there about every other year. Their are a couple of rest. on the water that have pretty good food( especially the coconut shrimp with a marmalade) and drinks. one on each side of the lake from the same owner if I am not mistaken. We have always gone up there around the 4th of July. The water is colder than Havasu but by the time you get to july it has warmed up some. We usually stay at the Marriot Timberlodge which are 2 bedroom timeshare condo's The lake is huge, and is not crowded and very clean( or at least it appears so). I know that around 4th their is a Poker Run that is called the Firecraker something or other that usually attracts some of the big nasties like Predator. :hammerhea Also, their will not be that many Lake Lice.. and you can do some wine tasting down in Placerville which is on your way up the hill...

NorCalCat
    we have a place up there. We do not drag the boat up there for several reasons. The lake is not a good boating lake. Cold water, I mean so cold you question you man hood after jumping in. The lake will be calm in the mornings, and then turn in 5 minutes to the roughes ocean you have ever seen. I have a 30' cat, and we still have problems. The lake is beautiful, so I guess there are tradeoffs. What side of the lake are you going to? There is several fun areas to go to. Sunnyside if fun and they make some great Bloody Marries. Richardsons is also fun, kinda on the south side.
    Oh ya, mufflers! Otherwise you will get a few nice tickets in the mail. They don't even bother to stop you.

rivercrazy
    I was thinking about renting a house or condo in the Tahoe Keys on the south side. I hear running on the west side of the lake is generally OK except for when the wind really howls. Is that close to being true? I run a 25' 24 degree closed deck V bottom and it handles the rough well. But I know the wind can really turn Tahoe into a mess. Probably similar to Lake Mohave on a windy day.

Dribble
    I've heard the water can be colder there than what comes out right below Hoover Dam. And that is REALLY cold...
    But mid summer around the outsides of portions of the lake it can be 70.
    I've never seen the water above about 62 but it still is swimable. We've boated there in our 20.5 but not the 23 yet. Once I even saw an 18' jet out there on a fairly windy day. Just don't get caught in a small boat if the wind comes up. You can be 4 miles from the nearest shoreline in the middle.
    The Keys always tries to get a seven day minumum. This is negotiable and if they have vacancies on short notice you can call the shots. The locals will boat in runabouts as small as 18'. They know the lake real well and can pretty well predict what the conditions will do.

spectras only
    Rivercrazy , pm SSTahoe [you know the guy with the nice chick in his avatar ] He lives there and has a nice Sonic .

NoCal NoBoat
    A long time ago, a friend and I rented a ski boat from the marina at the foot of Ski Run Boulevard. Being young, stupid, and unaware of our mortality, we
    went WOT right into the middle of the lake.
    Just like Dribble said, we got about four miles into the trip and decided we better turn around. Spent the next couple of hours in the biggest white caps I've ever seen in a lake. Maybe three-four ??? but felt like six...
    September, 2004, got married at Harvey's. Next day, we went to the same marina, and took the 4:00 pm trip on the "Tahoe Thunder" cat. Captain said it was relatively calm for the late afternoon. Lots of big boats crossing from Emerald Bay to Stateline for the Labor Day fireworks. With 11 passengers in the boat, we still got some good air on our way back to the dock.
    Nice experience for my first ride in a cat...Big heavy boat works better during Tahoe afternoons...

Moe_Havi
    I don't know about Tahoe but I doubt very much the water is as cold as below the hoover. I do know that the temp at Willow Beach runs a constant 53 degrees and that straightens you right out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast