Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Decibel Level Issue at Havasu

olc
    Yesterday iI ignorantly posted spam. I've received my replies from fellow boaters digging me pretty hard about that. Some even said I'd probably not even have anything valuable to add to the forum. Ok so posting the thread was a bad idea. IÂ’ve apologized. I still apologize... won't happen again... OLC isn't just dB (though it has stirred up a good controversy); it's anything over the limit. Like if you saw the page at havasunow.com/olc and scrolled down the next shirts coming are "OLC double d's". The OLC idea is supposed to be humorous and not taken so seriously. I mean if you come to the river often enough you should be well aware their are more serious things happening on the water then sound level. Talk to local Law Enforcement and they'll tell you Fatalities, Bui's (Oui's in AZ), carbon monoxide and safety infractions such as kids not in life jackets etc... are the priority. My spam became very controversial and it brought up the dB issue again. Here's my take on the decibel level living here in Havasu.
    There is a time and place for everything. We have to ask ourselves what is reasonable? If you go up river in the refuge, the US Fish and Wildlife Service watch for the noise issue, but they have different laws that pertain to the wildlife refuge to enforce. ThatÂ’s reasonable.
    If you make runs up and down the lake, say in front of Crazyhorse early in the am and disturb the camperÂ’s, thatÂ’s not reasonable. But if youÂ’re making a run to the springs mid morning and you leave from Thompson Bay who's going to care? YouÂ’re leaving a populated area. Like if a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it did it fall? The laws in California have changed not Arizona. Here a link to a good little article that spells that out (not spam): www.havasunow.com/news (http://www.havasunow.com/news)
    the article was posted 1-17-05. (scroll down the page to it)
    The laws are very simple in AZ. 5-336 says:
    "A. Every motor driven watercraft shall at all times be equipped with effective equipment, in good working order and in constant operation, to prevent excessive or unusual noise except as provided in subsection C. (regattas)
    B. It is not the intent of this section to prohibit the use of any type of exhaust system or exhaust device, including those systems and devices which do not discharge water with the exhaust gases, if such system or device complies with subsection A of this section."
    So if your equipment (whatever it may be) can "muffle" the noise so as not to create excessive or unusual noise you should be ok. Define "unusual" or "excessive" noise because it's not defined in the statute. Therefore is subjective. Which brings us back to what is reasonable? If you get a citation for 5-336.A the officer is telling you he/ she can articulate in court why you were excessive or unusual. Could you articulate why you weren't excessive or unusual? ThatÂ’s where your focus should be I think.
    Why do you buy a high performance boat? Doesn't "high performance" mean it's going to be louder than a Bayliner? Where are we going to run our high performance boats? Only in the ocean? Won't that affect the whales migrating to Alaska?
    Our job as boaters is to be reasonable. The current problems stem from a few that aren't or haven't been. Do you think the Marina would have started checking dB level if there werenÂ’t complaints. What if we all wait to start our boat when it is all of the way in the water instead of as the truck is backing us in or; shut them off prior to getting on the trailer instead of powering them on? What about starting up and just slowly backing the boat out into the bay without revving the motor up? Let her warm up slowly. There are things we can do to change our launching habits that would be more reasonable. It's the few who continued to rev and rev their motors creating excessive noise which caused the complaints(IÂ’m just guessing). The poker runs aren't helping things either. Boats are getting too big for little ole Havasu. Okay let me re-phrase that... Not too big for the lake, there are getting to be too many big boats on the lake.
    Now I know some of you are saying AZ has a law where it states you can't be over 86 dB, on an A weighted scale, at fifty feet, while underway. Right?
    That is an AZ Game and Fish rule (like a law but agency specific). Talk to any AZ officer on the lake and see how many times that has been tried in court. How can an officer reasonably meet all of those specific criteria?
    1. You can't have any other noise around because even a sneeze will be picked up by the dB meter. 2. Turn all the other boats on the lake off while we do this test! 3. Now we are going to drive (underway) and your going to follow me at exactly 50' so you can check me. By the way is your dB meter certified? By who? When? Are the batteries low or are they new?
    So here we are again - back to being reasonable.
    CA changed their laws. They had their own reasons for doing so. Maybe valid reasons? Maybe due to over-crowding? Whatever the reason, they changed just as the Marina started their own testing. This was just a coincidence. The point of all this is the whole dB issue is blown way out of proportion. If it was a problem, our state legislatures would be proposing a law to change the current one. TheyÂ’re not do that as of yet. LetÂ’s stay reasonable with how we conduct ourselves on the lake and worry about real issues like boating accidents, alcohol related offences, lewd and lascivious acts and public safety issues. Here's at tip: register your boat in AZ then most agencies will only enforce the AZ laws with you. And donÂ’t take OLC too seriously. Except for the spam issueÂ… Sorry again.
    Off my soap box - Out

Not So Fast
    Way too long to read dude NSF

ChumpChange
    Do you own a boat?

Phat Matt
    Like if a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it did it fall?
    Sure. But did it make a noise?

C-2
    Yesterday i ignorantly posted spam. I've received my replies from fellow boaters digging me pretty hard about that. Some even said I'd probably not even have anything valuable to add to the forum. ok so posting the thread was a bad idea. IÂ’ve apologized. I still apologize... won't happen again... OLC isn't just dB (though it has stirred up a good controversy); it's anything over the limit. Like if you saw the page at havasunow.com/olc and scrolled down the next shirts coming are "OLC double d's". The OLC idea is supposed to be humorous and not taken so seriously. I mean if you come to the river often enough you should be well aware their are more serious things happening on the water then sound level. Talk to local Law Enforcement and they'll tell you Fatalities, Bui's (Oui's in AZ), carbon monoxide and safety infractions such as kids not in life jackets etc... are the priority. My spam became very controversial and it brought up the dB issue again. Here's my take on the decibel level living here in Havasu.
    There is a time and place for everything. We have to aske ourselves what is reasonable? If you go up river in the refuge the US Fish and Wildlife Service watch for the noise, but they have different laws that pertain to the wildlife refuge to enforce. ThatÂ’s reasonable.
    If you make runs up and down the lake, say in front of Crazyhorse early in the am and disturb the camperÂ’s, thatÂ’s not reasonable. But if youÂ’re making a run to the springs mid morning and you leave from Thompson Bay who's going to care? YouÂ’re leaving a populated area. Like if a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it did it fall? The laws in California have changed not Arizona. Here a link to a good little article that spells that out (not spam): www.havasunow.com/news (http://www.havasunow.com/news)
    "A. Every motor driven watercraft shall at all times be equipped with effective equipment, in good working order and in constant operation, to prevent excessive or unusual noise except as provided in subsection C. (regattas)
    B. It is not the intent of this section to prohibit the use of any type of exhaust system or exhaust device, including those systems and devices which do not discharge water with the exhaust gases, if such system or device complies with subsection A of this section."
    So if your equipment (whatever it may be) can "muffle" the noise so as not to create excessive or unusual noise you should be ok. Define "unusual" or "excessive" noise because it's not defined in the statute. Therefore is subjective. Which brings us back to what is reasonable? If you get a citation for 5-336.A the officer is telling you he/ she can articulate in court why you were excessive or unusual. Could you articulate why you weren't excessive or unusual? ThatÂ’s where your focus should be I think.
    Why do you buy a high performance boat? Doesn't "high performance" mean it's going to be louder than a Bayliner? Where are we going to run our high performance boats? Only in the ocean? Won't that affect the whales migrating to Alaska?
    Our job as boaters is to be reasonable. The current problems stem from a few that aren't or haven't been. Do you think the Marina would have started checking dB level if there werenÂ’t complaints. What if we all wait to start our boat when it is all of the way in the water instead of as the truck is backing us in or; shut them off prior to getting on the trailer instead of powering them on? What about starting up and just slowly backing the boat out into the bay without revving the motor up? Let her warm up slowly. There are things we can do to change our launching habits that would be more reasonable. It's the few who continued to rev and rev their motors creating excessive noise which caused the complaints(IÂ’m just guessing). The poker runs aren't helping things either. Boats are getting too big for little ole Havasu. Okay let me re-phrase that... Not too big for the lake, there are getting to be too many big boats on the lake.
    Now I know some of you are saying AZ has a law where it states you can't be over 86 dB, on an A weighted scale, at fifty feet, while underway. Right?
    That is an AZ Game and Fish rule (like a law but agency specific). Talk to any AZ officer on the lake and see how many times that has been tried in court. How can an officer reasonably meet all of those specific criteria?
    1. You can't have any other noise around because even a sneeze will be picked up by the dB meter. 2. Turn all the other boats on the lake off while we do this test! 3. Now we are going to drive (underway) and your going to follow me at exactly 50' so you can check me. By the way is your dB meter certified? By who? When? Are the batteries low or are they new?
    CA changed their laws. They had their own reasons for doing so. Maybe valid reasons? Maybe due to over-crowding? Whatever the reason, they changed just as the Marina started their own testing. This was just a coincidence. The point of all this is the whole dB issue is blown way out of proportion. If it was a problem, our state legislatures would be proposing a law to change the current one. TheyÂ’re not do that as of yet. LetÂ’s stay reasonable with how we conduct ourselves on the lake and worry about real issues like boating accidents, alcohol related offences, lewd and lascivious acts and public safety issues. Here's at tip: register your boat in AZ then most agencies will only enforce the AZ laws with you. And donÂ’t take OLC too seriously. Except for the spam issueÂ… Sorry again.
    Off my soap box - Out
    Newbie advice,lesson TWO (here's where you take notes):
    DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THIS BOARD
    The noise issues have been beat to death but are still a sore topic with many. While your thoughts are helpful, the manner in which you deliver them is questionable.
    The shirts look cool, but my first thoughts are they are nothing more than somebody capitalizing on the latest buzz topic. Do they "help" the cause - probably not.
    But to each his own, so knock em' dead.

phebus
    Please don't anyone else quote this guy. The first time it was on here, it was way to long, and now I had to see it again. I think I'm gonna hurl!! :hammerhea

ChumpChange
    How about this Phebus?
    Yesterday i ignorantly posted spam. I've received my replies from fellow boaters digging me pretty hard about that. Some even said I'd probably not even have anything valuable to add to the forum. ok so posting the thread was a bad idea. IÂ’ve apologized. I still apologize... won't happen again... OLC isn't just dB (though it has stirred up a good controversy); it's anything over the limit. Like if you saw the page at havasunow.com/olc and scrolled down the next shirts coming are "OLC double d's". The OLC idea is supposed to be humorous and not taken so seriously. I mean if you come to the river often enough you should be well aware their are more serious things happening on the water then sound level. Talk to local Law Enforcement and they'll tell you Fatalities, Bui's (Oui's in AZ), carbon monoxide and safety infractions such as kids not in life jackets etc... are the priority. My spam became very controversial and it brought up the dB issue again. Here's my take on the decibel level living here in Havasu.
    There is a time and place for everything. We have to aske ourselves what is reasonable? If you go up river in the refuge the US Fish and Wildlife Service watch for the noise, but they have different laws that pertain to the wildlife refuge to enforce. ThatÂ’s reasonable.
    Off my soap box - Out
    Off my soap box - Out
    Off my soap box - Out
    Off my soap box - Out

Todd969
    Nice Matt, real Freakin' nice.............. damn you!

phebus
    I am just going to post it on the refrigerator, and I'll become bulemic (sp). Best weight loss plan going!!

charlyox
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzz

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast