Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil drain line

Thunderbutt
    Pumping oil out of the motor through the dip stick doesn't cut it, leaves to much oil in the pan. I'm going to hook a line to an AN fitting in the bung of the pan. Because the back of the motor is hard to get to, I would like to put a bulk head fitting through the transom. Does anyone have an idea on this? On my v-drive I can get to the back and put the hose through the drain plug.

Liberator TJ1984
    Thunder , I did what you are thinking about. Went to a Hydraulics parts hose and bought a #10 Bulkhead fitting (male x male )that goes thru the transom plate , on the pan got a 1/2'' NPT X #10 JIC male 90* fitting , it took about a foot of #10 stainless hose with female swivels on ea. end to hook up ( leave just enough slack to lay flat on floor),you will naturally have to measure yours to fit, then on the outside I just plugged it off w/#10 cap.
    now I just jack up the front of the boat ,put a pan under the fitting and remove the cap, it takes a little while but is still better than other means I have seen :hammerhea
    PS. and take an old shop vac and adapt a piece of 3/4" rubber hose to slide onto the bulkhead fitting and you can drain that sucker in no time flat :wink:
    good luck
    Gopher

mike37
    I think there is a kit you can buy it screws in you drain plug in the pan and has a 1/2 pip plug to go in your drain plug spot you pull the plug and pull the drain hose out and drain the oil into a bucket
    have one on my 496 it came stock works great

BIGCHRIS
    I have got the same set up u have works great,well wort the work

wrenchdaddy
    I have a line from my pan that runs to the transom also, just pull it out of the drain plug hole and take the cap off, Mine came out REALLY slow though of course the oil was 60-70 degrees. It took all night.

superdave013
    my flat had a -16 oil drain like that. my schiada will also before it's all said and done.

Dan Lorenze
    The best way to drain oil that I've found is to hook up a "drill pump" to the end of the drain hose and suck it out.. Takes less than 10 minutes and it's all out. Probably the best time to do it is right when you pull it out of the water while the oil is nice and warm.
    My problem is I have a nice oil leak under my engine, nothing is leaking above my oil pan so I'm thinking it's got to be the fitting where my drain hose connects to the pan, it's a good size leak too.. The problem is there's no access to get to it, I'm afraid I'll have to pull the motor just to fix it.. :hammerhea
    Any ideas?? :idea:

spectras only
    Jim, I have the drain kit in my spectra V-drive [ LS-6 ] .
    Dave sells it for $31.87 cdn. approx $ 24 us.His ph; 604-278 1880.

BK
    The best way to drain oil that I've found is to hook up a "drill pump" to the end of the drain hose and suck it out.. Takes less than 10 minutes and it's all out. Probably the best time to do it is right when you pull it out of the water while the oil is nice and warm.
    My problem is I have a nice oil leak under my engine, nothing is leaking above my oil pan so I'm thinking it's got to be the fitting where my drain hose connects to the pan, it's a good size leak too.. The problem is there's no access to get to it, I'm afraid I'll have to pull the motor just to fix it.. :hammerhea
    Any ideas?? :idea:
    Hopefully thats all it is, and not a small crack in your pan. Does it only leak when its running? When the oils hot? Or all the time?

Dan Lorenze
    Byron, good point.. Yes, I believe it only leaks when the engine is on.. Are cracks in oil pans common? I'm hoping it's only the drain fitting.. :idea:
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast