Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil drain line

Beer-30
    I think there is a kit you can buy it screws in you drain plug in the pan and has a 1/2 pip plug to go in your drain plug spot you pull the plug and pull the drain hose out and drain the oil into a bucket
    have one on my 496 it came stock works great
    A funny story on the 496 thing. My HO came with the drain kit attached to the tether on the drain plug also. I had changed the oil in a friend's V-drive that had a plug in the bottom under the motor. The same hose we have just goes out that plug and drains the oil. So, having done this to that boat, I went about changing my oil (for the first time) a few weeks ago.
    I was getting done with another project and was about to go in for the night. I put the empty pan under the back of the boat, dropped the drain line out of the plug and started it draining. This way, since it takes for friggen ever, it could drain overnight. So far so good.
    I come out the next morning to see oil all over the slab. Around all six trailer tires, everywhere, a mess!
    I pull the boat out of the mess an commence to cleaning it up. The pan is still there, but overflowed. I ask myself how could this be? My dually doesn't overflow that pan! I go back inside and look in the Mercruiser shop manual. 9 quarts. The pan holds 7! Ah ha. What a mess.

BrendellaJet
    Byron, good point.. Yes, I believe it only leaks when the engine is on.. Are cracks in oil pans common? I'm hoping it's only the drain fitting.. :idea:
    Thanks
    Geez-been there done that. My dads old oil pan looked great, but we couldn't get it to seal. Turned out there was a crack in the damn thing. If I remember correctly even after he had it fixed it still leaked. Get a new pan and be done with it.

v-drive
    Geez-been there done that. My dads old oil pan looked great, but we couldn't get it to seal. Turned out there was a crack in the damn thing. If I remember correctly even after he had it fixed it still leaked. Get a new pan and be done with it.
    Yes but we found out later that the engine was put together with crankcase pressure built in. the people that did it before I got it restricted all of the returns and on a olds that can be (is) catastrophic(sp) The engine is now rebuilt and in a v-drive and while not a dragboat it is a 70mph + boat. I will never know how much faster though because I am chicken. :coffeycup v-drive

BK
    Byron, good point.. Yes, I believe it only leaks when the engine is on.. Are cracks in oil pans common? I'm hoping it's only the drain fitting.. :idea:
    Thanks
    Not sure how common they are but definatley happen. I know someone whos pan had a small crack in it last year and he had a heck of a time finding it, was real small and only leaked once the oil was hot. I hope this isnt your problem but either way you should lift the motor up high enough to take a peak and make sure the drain tube nut is tight as well, good luck.

Dan Lorenze
    Well..... I'm back from my weekend in Laughlin.. Since I installed a new Edelbrock 750 up from a Holley 600 I was concerned how the motor would take to it, the boat ran better that ever, I was surprised to find that the boat has even more bottom end than before (you'd think I'd lose some), it just seems to breath easier, the carb was a snap to install, I had to change the throttle linkage up a bit and install the Pink springs to smooth out the initial hit. Other than that it was truly an easy bolt on mod that went better than expected.
    Now, the oil leak...... Getting back to the leak I have, since I changed out carbs I noticed a breather line that went from the old Holley to a breather PCV valve on one of the valve covers.. The new Edelbrock marine carb has NO spigot for the breather... So, instead of buying a new breather cap I just left the PCV valve sticking out of the valve cover by itself... :messedup: sure enough oil was spit all over the engine from the PCV valve and the breather on the other side spit oil all over the place....... Also, my oil pressure gauge was pinned passed 80psi....
    I'm thinking that the pressure is pushing oil out the path of least resistance. After a couple of fast hard runs about a quart of oil was sitting at the bottom of the engine compartment and scared me so I pulled the boat out and sat on my trailer. Oil is also coming out from the bottom of the motor, I'm figuring it's got to be the pan or the "oil drain" fitting....
    Sucks....... Since I can't fit my hand between the stringers and logs I'll have to take the logs off just to get to the pan.... Hopefully I won't have to pull the motor....
    Any thoughts...
    Thanks........
    Dan

BK
    I would also check around the dipstick tube for oil, its not uncomon for the motor to vent from there as well. You can plumb your pcv dirrectly into your intake manifold with the right fittings, there should be a 3/8's threaded plug on one of your intake runners and im pretty sure you can put it there. Mabye someone will verify that for us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12