Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MAINEVENT's Dilema

riverbound
    I would say keep it... I have owned my boat for about 3 years now. the first time I ever put it in the water it ran OK. Turned it off and it never woudl start after that. Took it to the shop replaced all the batts, alternator, starter solenoid, starter. All of that stuff was bad. Next trip out the boat was running OK again turned her off could nt get it started again this time it was because the Carb was bad and was flooding the engine when it sat, (but at least it cranked this time). So I bought a new Carb. Next trip out it still only ran OK turned her off, and you guessed it. wouldnt start again By this time I am pissed. Take it to the shop and the battery cables were completely corodded. Replaced all the cables and back to the lake. Ran OK started when shut off so life is good right? nope. The pump started making a little noise. take it back to the shop to find out pump is shot and the bearings were so bad that they actually damaged the shaft so by this time I am pissed. I pay to have the pump redone add a diverter and loader. and I am on my way take it to the lake and she runs ok. not as many RPMs as before due t the tight pump but at least she runs and starts I then started to notice little flaws here and there in the gel so I had the gel redone. now she looks good and runs good. has new interior all new parts what else could go wrong???? First time out with the new gel and the motor spins all the bearings. drops a valve and sends shrapnel all through the motor. Now when I bouht this boat the motor was rebuilt the season prior to me buying it so I thought I was fine, the problem was the person who rebuilt it knew nothing about boats and all the tolerances were wrong. So now I am paying more money To make matters worse I now have so much money tied up in this thing that the wife realizes we could have bought a much newer boat without all these issues so now she pissed :hammerhea
    But I love the style of the older boats, the new stuff just doesnt have the charm. And this is the boat that growing up I always wanted so it has alot of sentimental value to me.
    Anyways... After about 3 years I finally have everything worked out up until about 2 months ago I had NEVER towed my boat home from the river with it going on the trailer on its own power. But everytime I look at it and think of all the work that I have done to it I realize that I still dont have to make payments and my boat doesnt look like most of the other boats out there. Its cool sitting somewhere and seeing people walk past boats MUCH more valuable than mine and complimenting my POS.
    Sorry for the long post, But I was in the same boat as you many time over the last couple of years.
    P.s. I forgot about the time that I had the motor rebuilt and the guy screwed it up, very similar situation to yours.
    Good luck

MagicMtnDan
    Exactly..you've done the hard part....got screwed by a vendor...most of us have at one time or another......fix it ...run it ...and enjoy it!!
    Holy cow :2purples: JBB posted something other than a link to a wacky video!

MAINEVENT
    RB I feel your pain i am sorry you or anyone has to go through some shiat like this It F'd up
    Kilr :yuk: believe me the first time was not so cheap but this time it IS in a good builders hands I am actually stoked but like i said i have that bad feeling in the back of my mind and it seriously bugs the shiat out of me :220v:

Nord
    You have a 70's boat with problems???? Thats a shocker
    The boat looks sweet, I would keep it, but the tripletts should be the deciding factor
    Beautiful Picture though

MAINEVENT
    My kids are really not a big factor they totally know that ALL motors are hot at ALL times that was my biggest worry

riverbound
    You have a 70's boat with problems???? Thats a shocker
    The boat looks sweet, I would keep it, but the tripletts should be the deciding factor
    Beautiful Picture though
    I do agree on the kids being the deciding factor. I actually figured out a way that I can keep my boat and get a bigger more family friendly boat. Still working out some details but I will hopefully be sporting a new (to me) ride soon.

NorCal Gameshow
    Holy cow :2purples: JBB posted something other than a link to a wacky video!
    first the b.b.q sauce thread now this....
    mainevent,
    like the others said, keep it...
    B.B.C's aren't that hard to build and keep running. when they're built right they'll last

77charger
    looks like a nice ride imo.Now if the boat is structually sound i would let a repitable guy redo motor and keep it.If it needed interior,floor work,etc.Takea loss and sell it.I was in the a similar mode a couple of years ago got i built a nice mild motor that ran solid,had mpd do the pump couldnt have been happier with the drivetrain but the rest of the boat needed alot of work i sold it to my brother for 700 bucks and bought my current 21ft eliminator (a used one)and enjoy it.it aint as fast but nothing turn the key,take rougher water and the gas consumption of a sbc.(i used what it would have cost me to redo my old boat fora down payment)

NELSON#109
    I Ran A 78 Challenger For Several Yrs... I Re-did Just About Every Thing On It.. Pump W/ Setback, Interior. Floor, Tanks....u Name It Complete Bare Hull Up Re-rig. I Spent A Ton Of Money On It But It Was The Funest All Around Hull Ive Ever Run. Your To Close To Quit... I Think You Will End Up Lovin The Boat, And If Your Kids Are Cool In It, Dont Worry... When They Get Older They Will Thank You For Dragin Em To The Lake In A Boat Like That... Thats What Most Of Us Grew Up In... I Leared Early How To Get Along W/ A Fast Boat N Hot Headers. I Re-learn The Hot Header Part Every Season. Jus Got My First Set Of 2005 Burns In The 109 Cp This Weekend. Good Luck.

sorry dog
    Put an outboard on it...a Promax 225 should make it a bit faster and more reliable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast