Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Much Do ..'drop Down Dvd..

FRENCHIE
    The Ford is an Audiouvox, we've had good luck with ours, just a 7" all in one.
    i might need one thrown in!!?? about two more weeks!!!!

riverbound
    This is true, I was refering to the factory installed units. I have not had to replace or repair any of these except for one that was damaged in shipping.
    Most True "factory installed " units are very wel built pieces. the problem with them is the fact that they are usually much smaller monitors or they lack the features that most people want.That is why so many dealers go outside and get it done, becasue they can get a bigger monitor with more bells and whistles for the same price of the OEM units.

Boozer
    Leon check your PM's

FRENCHIE
    Leon check your PM's
    thanx...10-4!!!!

Kachina26
    Most True "factory installed " units are very wel built pieces. the problem with them is the fact that they are usually much smaller monitors or they lack the features that most people want.That is why so many dealers go outside and get it done, becasue they can get a bigger monitor with more bells and whistles for the same price of the OEM units.
    That and there is a real nice mark up on the aftermarket units But I agree, the factory installed unit is pricey.
    On a side note, the factory installed unit was engineered to work with the vehicle. I had a few Denalis which had memory seat issues due to Caps in the aftermarket DVD player discharging/backfeeding voltage into the system. We had the installer put in a diode to cure this, but man what a pain that first one was to diagnose. And warranty didn't foot the bill :jawdrop: Just things to think about.

riverbound
    That and there is a real nice mark up on the aftermarket units But I agree, the factory installed unit is pricey.
    On a side note, the factory installed unit was engineered to work with the vehicle. I had a few Denalis which had memory seat issues due to Caps in the aftermarket DVD player discharging/backfeeding voltage into the system. We had the installer put in a diode to cure this, but man what a pain that first one was to diagnose. And warranty didn't foot the bill :jawdrop: Just things to think about.
    But a goo shop will either do it right the first time, or take care of you when things go wrong.

J540
    Players run from the dealer...either Ford or chevy for going in a new truck??? anyone know? or is it really alot cheaper to get one aftermarket put in!!?? :idea:
    MY 04 Excursions Dealer DVD was $1500. Thats what they wanted to put one in my 05. and its only 7" F,that, Iam picking up my 05 tomarrow and am going with the aftermarket one its 10.6 or 10.2? all in one.$800 they work fine. If you want you can take the one out of my 04, I didn't see shit . E/bay had some ford one's . I have an Xbox in mine and it sucks to have the wires hanging down from the DVD player, the new one will have a small Inverter and RCA jacks down in the center console. I seen one and it looks way clean.

Kachina26
    But a goo shop will either do it right the first time, or take care of you when things go wrong. Actually, the problem would not normally be noticable to most. My customer commented that his easy exit seats did not always work. Turns out that they would not work if you shut off the vehicle and immediately removed the key. However, if you waited a moment before removing the key, it would work just fine. Just getting to the point where we realized what the car was doing was tough. They took care of the problem (we use a good shop) But, sales ate the diag time. I doubt they even tried to get that from the installer.
    Sorry for the hijack Leon.

Boozer
    MY 04 Excursions Dealer DVD was $1500. Thats what they wanted to put one in my 05. and its only 7" F,that, Iam picking up my 05 tomarrow and am going with the aftermarket one its 10.6 or 10.2? all in one.$800 they work fine. If you want you can take the one out of my 04, I didn't see shit . E/bay had some ford one's . I have an Xbox in mine and it sucks to have the wires hanging down from the DVD player, the new one will have a small Inverter and RCA jacks down in the center console. I seen one and it looks way clean.
    Before having the unit installed I would check with Ford to see what if any effect this will have on your vehicles warranty. It may void the warranty on your entire electrical system.
    Also make sure the place installing it is reputable. I would trust a place like AL & Ed's to do an install on something like this but not a mom and pop shop. If something does go wrong you want to make sure that the place you got it installed at is willing to pay up and get the problem solved quickly and effectively.
    Here's a scenario I experienced first hand in my car audio days.
    Customer comes in with their 6 month old Saab and I sell them in dash TV, DVD player and a bunch of other stuff. Car comes in and leaves everything seems to be okay. Next day the customer comes in with a burnt out headlight saying their headlight wasn't burnt out when they brought the car in. We agree to replace the headlight. My installer drove the customers car into the back and popped the hood then walked into the showroom and asked me to call Saab and make sure they had a replacement light in stock.
    Next thing I notice there is smoke coming under the door that leads from the showroom to the install bay. We run out in the bay and the car is smoking like crazy. Somehow or another the entire electrical harness on this car FRIED. We call Saab and they tell us due to the aftermarket audio equipment the warranty is void.
    I got the customer a rental on us while my master installer spent 1 week working 14 hour days replacing the entire electrical harness in this Saab on our dime. I don't remember the exact figure but I believe the mishap cost our shop upwards of 12-13K and for all we knew it was a Saab problem. We also gave the customer a lifetime warranty on their entire electrical system for the remainder of the time that they owned the vehicle.
    Not to many car audio shops will do the same so make sure you find a place that will. You'd be amazed at all the horror stories people have had and most of all the places they have them.
    You'd think a company like Best Buy would stand behind their work right?
    Customer has an alarm installed. Dumb ass installer is using an old school electic tester with the little light in it that get lit up by grounding the circuit to find a hot wire. Hits the airbags and BAM airbag deploys and the dude has a busted nose among other injuries to his face. The installer wasnt happy with the money Best Buy was giving him on disability so he tried suing the car owners insurance company!!
    I also seen an Astro Van catch fire in the install bay of Best Buy. Took the owner almost 6 months to get any money for it.
    So be REALLY cautious about who you use and what you buy.

Parker
    Thanks for the compliment Boozer. I have been in the car audio business long enough to see things that most wouldn't believe. But, the one thing you can see over time is the shops that stand behind their work are still in business. (this applies to all industries I'm sure.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast