Thread: whipple or tbs chiller

pleasantcat
    i have a 10/71 tbs blower and im looking to step up to a chiller. whipple set up is awesome when it comes to hatch clearance but i was told doesnt perform as well as the std 4" design. any truth to this??? dustin can you chime in on this??? thanks

Hustler
    I dont know about performance diff. How thick is the Whipple one. I have a TBS one and love how nice the outter shell is done. When we dynoed my motor with the TBS one we saw temps at around 90 below the intercooler consistently.

pleasantcat
    thanks hustler. i did speak with tbs today and they said at the level im at they didnt have much of a difference. my problem like many others is space. :notam:

Whipple Charged
    thanks hustler. i did speak with tbs today and they said at the level im at they didnt have much of a difference. my problem like many others is space. :notam:
    Performance depends on the airflow through the core. Superchiller is 2.5", our standard is 2.5", TBS is 3", or billet cooler is 3". Core thickness is only a small portion of efficiency.
    We utilze a better material for intercooling called cupronickel vs. the aluminum. Our cupronickel has a special process which has copper air fins which really increases thermal efficiency. The cupronickel is far more durable and will never corrode.
    Theres really not that much of a difference at boost levels below 6lbs, slight differences between TBS on our low profile and billet cooler between 8-12. Our low profile cooler is actually larger and has more square fin area than any other cooler available. You will not be dissapointed with performance, that will be sure. You also save almost 3".
    Not sure if many knew, but we have a "billet" cooler similar to TBS but ours uses a cupronickel IC and has quite a bit of trick machining.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

Hustler
    Hey Dustin thanks for the info. How much do you get for the billet cooler with cupernickle core?

pleasantcat
    dustin, thanks for the info. the guys at tbs said i should ask you about your placement of the blower. i have a tbs 10/71 like i said before, and was told your set-up raises me 1" and forward or backward 1" from the tbs manifold. is this true and would it be possable to move the bolt holes to a centered position.they said it wouldnt be a problem for them to send you the blueprint info on their manifold. i have no room between my belt/pulley seatback/hatch that's the main issue. im running 118mph in a 25 daytona so im happy with the performance as it is. this is to help make the engine live a little longer.

Whipple Charged
    dustin, thanks for the info. the guys at tbs said i should ask you about your placement of the blower. i have a tbs 10/71 like i said before, and was told your set-up raises me 1" and forward or backward 1" from the tbs manifold. is this true and would it be possable to move the bolt holes to a centered position.they said it wouldnt be a problem for them to send you the blueprint info on their manifold. i have no room between my belt/pulley seatback/hatch that's the main issue. im running 118mph in a 25 daytona so im happy with the performance as it is. this is to help make the engine live a little longer.
    The billet Whippple Cooler is $2495 polished.
    The Low profile whipple cooler raises the SC approx. 1" and forward approx. 1" (so the sc can clear the distributor). We could send you a standard 671-871 plate but the SC will probably hit the distributor. You can try it and I'll exchange it if it doesn't work.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

pleasantcat
    moving the sc forward an inch will be trimming someones hair :frown: i'll be getting back to you real soon on that intake. thanks dustin for your help.