Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "On Board" Battey Chargers

phuggit
    I installed this one over the winter. It charges the two Optima's in my boat.
    http://www.overtons.com/modperl/over...item_num=70852

Raisin Wake
    I installed this one over the winter. It charges the two Optima's in my boat.
    http://www.overtons.com/modperl/over...item_num=70852
    That's the same one I installed. Works great.

TrojanDan
    I used the ProPak IV by these guys http://www.culmrite.com/culmrite/mall/lobby.php
    Since I mounted the charger on the port side, the portside battery cable lead only needed to be about 4 or 5 feet long while the battery cable leads to the starboard side battery banks were about 10' and 11' long. For a few dollars more, this company custom made my length cable so I didn't have extra wire spooled up. I get off the water and just plug my extention cord to the plug connected to my charger and all batteries get charged. I leave it plugged in while it stays in my garage too so that the batteries are always charged. It has one of those "smart charge" features.

phebus
    There are definately some nice chargers out there, just make sure you get one that meets your needs.
    I run the stereo batteries as a total loss system meaning I don't charge them with the alternator at all. It is too hard on the stock alternator to try and charge a multi battery system, and unless you are running an awfull lot, it couldn't charge them anyway. With that said, I needed a charger with the most amps I could get that didn't exceed the max charging amps for the batteries in order to charge my batteries over night.
    Don't short change yourself by getting a charger with a low amp output, unless your only goal is long term battery maintenance.

ClownRoyal
    I use the Dual Pro Charger. It came highly reccomended from those in the know, and there are several board members running them. Fully automatic, with no fear of over charging. I just plug it in at the end of the day, and the batteries are ready to go fully charged the next day. I keep the boat plugged in to the charger all the time when it is not being used, and it maintains the batteries, which should let me get the greatest amount of time with them before they need replacing. It wasn't the cheapest charger out there, but far from the most expensive also, but I don't remember exactly what I spent for it, but it was money well spent, very convenient just to plug the boat in at the end of the day.
    http://www.dualpro.com/images/Dualpro.jpg
    Hey phebus,
    Did you install yourself and how hard was it? How many holes do I have to drill? Is it really 17 lbs?. That could cost me about a 1/2 mph :cry:

phebus
    Yes it is heavy, but I eliminated one battery. Starting the day fully charged allowed me to go with only two batteries for the stereo, and one starting battery. Installation was a snap, just screwed the charger down, and ran the wires from the charger that have the end rigs pre installed, and put them on the battery lugs and ran down the wing nuts. Done deal.

Essex502
    I used the ProPak IV by these guys http://www.culmrite.com/culmrite/mall/lobby.php
    Since I mounted the charger on the port side, the portside battery cable lead only needed to be about 4 or 5 feet long while the battery cable leads to the starboard side battery banks were about 10' and 11' long. For a few dollars more, this company custom made my length cable so I didn't have extra wire spooled up. I get off the water and just plug my extention cord to the plug connected to my charger and all batteries get charged. I leave it plugged in while it stays in my garage too so that the batteries are always charged. It has one of those "smart charge" features.
    Would someone need a ProPak IV for only 2 batteries or could they use the ProPak II for that kind of install - figgering that they'd never have more than 2 batteries on board?

phebus
    You would only need the ProPak II for a two battery system, but I didn't see the specs listed, so can't say if the amp output would be sufficient for anything more then long term maintenance. I like a charger that can bring my batteries up overnight.

rivercrazy
    One thing you will notice with the Optima's is their discharge rate when not in use is very very negligible. Your charger won't be working very hard unless you are a heavy user of power when the engine is off.
    I can leave my fully charged Optima's all winter. Then put the charger on them and they are fully charged in just a few minutes.

phebus
    One thing you will notice with the Optima's is their discharge rate when not in use is very very negligible. Your charger won't be working very hard unless you are a heavy user of power when the engine is off.
    I can leave my fully charged Optima's all winter. Then put the charger on them and they are fully charged in just a few minutes.
    That is true, but the heat in Havasu is hard on batteries, and I like to constantly keep my batteries at a full state of charge to get the maximum life out of them. Also, as stated before, I need a charger to bring my batteries back up after a day of use, so a charger that both brings them back up and maintains them works best for me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast